Wednesday, June 24, 2015

FOR THOSE NOT SO HOT ON CHURCH

I think about the incredible, wonderful, very good people who aren't too sold on the church idea.  Oddly, I probably get some of their griefs about us maybe even better than they do.  If you think church has its ugly spots as you look in....you don't know the real story.  We needed Jesus more than we realized.

And...that's the whole point of church.  We can't save ourselves.  Believe me we tried. We continue to try.  And then after another while, Jesus has to rescue because we ran out of our ability quite a ways back.

So let me guess.  Some of you aren't necessarily against church.  You just don't see its value.  Would you mind if I took a look at some of your objections hoping that you might be a smidge more open to the concept?

What are some obvious objections?
  1. It is dull.
  2. It is full of hypocrites.
  3. It seems to have no purpose.
  4. It takes up valuable time.
  5. It intimidates (If I went, I wouldn't know what to do.  Sit?  Stand?)
  6. Add your clues.
Where would you guess I got #s 1-5?  Quick guess.  These were my objections.  I tried church; but I didn't like it.  I certainly never intended to be a faithful attender once adulthood arrived.  And I certainly, certainly never intended to be in ministry.  But #s 1-5 faded when I discovered that God is devoted to the people who hurt.  

Faith is perceived as at least a weak, if not useless, church term.  It isn't.  It is a thrilling fact that allows average people to engage in bringing about changes that others wouldn't deem possible.  Faith crosses intimidating barricades, advances strong hope for the hopeless, and lifts attitudes which could surely use a refreshing remodel.

Faith believes that things that don't exist can become and that dead things can come alive.  That's faith.  Believe me there is a market for this!  This is the factor, faith, which transforms boredom into mission.  Of course church is dull if you merely sit to look at your belly button.  It comes alive when you/me/we realize we can actually help another arise to a new kind of absolute hope.

For those not so hot on church, rethink, re-imagine potential and possibility which would not only bring happiness, but genuine thrill.  That's what I find.  That's what others encounter.  That's what I want you to consider.  

Church isn't about we snobs who scurry to care for ourselves.  No.  Church is the ideal group who care for others who have hit a momentary limp.  We believe we are not much.  Too, we believe God uses the very plain and excessively ordinary to lift others who live with fear and doubt.

Together.  That's the key.  We become a new kind of nation when we believe in others because we learned it from God.  Look at Jesus' walk.  He helps us help others.  That's church.


No comments: