Sunday, December 15, 2013

DISCIPLESHIP AMONG US

The term discipleship seems to come with lights flashing as in a patrol car pulling one over to the side of the road.  It carries an innuendo of TROUBLE!  Because of mistaken fear toward this biblical calling, I have fundamentally avoided it.

But I am very wrong.

Other than training my three kids a bit and awareness of working with my staff in some discipling regions, I would grade myself as a failure.  Yet, I am enthused to learn at this point in my life meaningful discipleship concepts.  I have an improved vision for this scriptural necessity.

Here is the truth about some who are very strong on discipleship.  Many of the strong ones seem to be more about man-made laws than they are about Jesus' walk.  That statement might be too strong; but the very term is rejected among too many because of discipleship abuse.  Bullying is not godly guidance.  And calling it by any other name is still bullying in some circles.

Law kills.  The Spirit gives life.  We are to be obedient to His calling.  The discrepancy occurs when man develops methods and calls them God's.

One area of this need where I have flatly failed is that I have developed a passive theology.  I teach (and preach) where God has called, how Jesus enacted the calling, all pointing to the Spirit's engagement in that calling.  However, I have done little to take good people by the hand and say, This will give you meaning in the kingdom.

The present church concept of sitting in rows for an hour (or two...or three) a week is rapidly dying.  I am very comfortable with the way we do church.  It fits my style; but we all know the Christian scene is losing ground in America.  Too, comfort and the cross seem to be clearly at odds, don't you think?

Those places where the church is hands on with the homeless, the poor, and the needy is where greater and stronger life is always discovered.  The reason is simple; it is where Jesus would go.

Thousands of men and women like me have asserted ourselves in serious efforts to reach.  Such works seem to have blessed in several places.  It remains important that we increase in connecting with a society that is in deep need of the Jesus-heart.

I can see now that I have not done a good job of helping our people overcome fears of engagement with a very depleted and needy society.  I'm not saying I have done nothing.  I am admitting that discipline and training among us will build us to move into zones we would have never guessed possible otherwise.

At the very beginning of The Tangible Kingdom primer it states, making it look easy takes lots of practice.  Could it be that we have become accustomedly comfortable with If it is a stretch for me, I will allow a gifted one to do the work?

Discipleship among us is a serious matter as well as need.  Those who make up rules to go along with the training should back down to the simple instruction of where the Word says.  Those, like me, who have very little discipleship processes except to reject the abusers are deeply in need of arising to a higher calling.

Two books have pointed dramatically that my rejection of squint-eyed disciple-makers is simply not efficient when it comes to equipping believers to serve faithfully.  Barefoot Church, as well as The Tangible Kingdom, have opened my eyes to a new realm of potential and possibility.  God seemed to use these two books to awaken my heart that I have serious need.

Maybe they would cheer you on as well.

No comments: