Wednesday, July 31, 2013

WHAT SHALL WE DO WITH ALL OF THIS STRESS STUFF?

So yesterday was a normal day.  There was nothing unusual about it.  I liked it well enough.  No, I liked it a lot.  The day was full of adventure and wonder; just like our other times called Today.

Oh, there was the call that came in that one of the really good guys in my Small Group that meets on Sunday nights was discovered to have cancer in both hips.  I went to the hospital to check on him; but he was out for more tests.

Oh, and there was the man who walked in off of the street into our offices.  He wanted money for a utility bill on the spot.  When I told him we would need to run it through a budget process which would take a bit of time, he left pretty unhappy with me.

Oh, and there was the email from my Cardinal Camp group regarding Matt's 17 year old son who is suffering from cancer.  The young man is so very ill.  The bone marrow transplant is in the immediate wings. Matt's pain is all over the map regarding watching his loved one suffer.  It brings me joy that we can find a door of ministry opportunity in this scenario.

Oh, and there was an issue communicated to the elders and some of the staff regarding a fairly heavy upset that has deep concern, if not train-wreck, for some.  This one carries missiles of high-level drama which will not be ignored.

Oh, and there were other encounters of challenges for the moments.

Mary asked me last night, You holding up under this stuff okay?

The question caught me off-guard.  Why would she ask that?  I was fine....really.

And then I realized, Jesus walks with us.  He is the one carrying the load.  Yesterday was just a very normal day.  He is so good at what he does with, for, and through us to the certain extent that it had not occurred to me that I might not be okay.  I love what he lets me get to do.  I don't love the pain.  I do love the purpose.

Oh, by the way, my Cardinals also lost a double-header last night....and fell out of first place.  Not to fret. There are tougher things in life than sports reports...don't you think?

What shall we do with all this stress stuff?  Care deeply and believe intentionally in the One who has been through it all....especially when hanging publicly from the Cross.

No comments: