Thursday, August 01, 2013

THE PRIVILEGE OF PREACHING THAT BELONGS TO THE SPIRIT

R. T. Kendall lists five preaching positions:

  1.  Preaching down to the people; patronizing the listener.
  2.  Preaching up to the people; this occurs when intimidated by the people.
  3.  Preaching for the people; this is a form of entertainment.
  4.  Preaching at the people; in reality, this is cowardice.
  5.  Preaching to the people; which what one is supposed to do.

In my early years I was mainly guilty of #s 1, 2, 3, and 4; especially 4.  In preaching at the people I had a particular person or group in mind that I hugged in the foyer and blasted from the pulpit.

If it would be alright with author Kendall, I would like to add one more consideration:

  6.  Preaching with the Spirit of God; this relays the message from Him to us.

I know of no preacher who is more than standing upon clay feet.  Name the top-liners and I'll show you weak individuals destined for the grave.  Their/my only true power is that of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit possesses solutions for all of our concerns.  Will we be interesting?  Will we have selected the correct texts?  Will we be understood?  Will we speak to the moment?  Will we inspire?  Will we convict?  Will we get in the way?  I carry all of these questions to the microphone every time I preach.

The only true answer I can find to any and all is that of the Holy Spirit; the Spirit of Christ, the Spirit of God. He knows the thoughts and intents of the speaker and the listener.  He knows the secret battles of the ears that hear.  He knows them...and He knows us/me....and He alone knows how to make the connection bear fruit.

It is not up to us to produce a well-oiled outline (as I once assumed).  It is up to us to allow the Spirit of God to rent our bodies and use our lips in proclamation of the most magnificent message EVER heard.

May we who stand at pulpits receive our information from the Word of God and be empowered by the Spirit of Christ.


No comments: