Sunday, May 02, 2010

MIND OVER DISCOURAGEMENT

I lived in perpetual discouragement during my first church work of one year, my second church work of two years and maybe my first eighteen years here.  I know being down.

God showed me something in the Word that changed my pattern.  He showed me my thinking was displaced.  I was operating on conditions; conditions of others' responses or non-responses to me, how circumstances evolved, and of course, results of efforts.

I was a terrible friend to anyone because my mood depended on what I got from them.  I was a lousy leader for my enthusiasm depended on whether I was getting my way. 

But God showed me a better way.  Philippians 4:4-9 changed my world.  I could choose to think of what I didn't like if I wanted to, but those thoughts would not bring me peace.  Or, I could live thankfully for every thing I could think about....and peace would begin to blend into my daily routine.

God was right.  No surprise.  When I practiced (:9) thinking about the good things going on, my world bloomed like garden flowers.  Everything shifted.  I learned about everything--EVERYTHING--being a "Yes"....II Cor. 1:18-20.

It wasn't a seminar that upset my world for good.  I shifted from being a moody, pouty grown man by rehearsing everything in life which has or is or will gone/go right!  Guess what!  God knows His people.  Our hope is not dependent upon what the elders permit or what the contributions allow.  It is dependent upon what goes on between our ears. 

When we decide Jesus' resurrection can afford us the same power....II Cor. 13:4....we begin to experience a new world order.  Discouraged?  People nor circumstances are the real issue.  They can surely cause an edginess to our walk.  But the ultimate fact is we can select a host of matters gone right...and find perfect peace.

I must share that to begin this wasn't easy for I simply wanted others to change their ways.  They didn't.  I had a choice; be happy or be depressed.  He has a way for us to experience His wonder!  Think on it!

2 comments:

Cary said...

Thanks, Terry. Needed this.

Liz Moore said...

It's a very hard lesson to learn, but we we finally learn it... Wow!! The possibilities!! Thank you for sharing your heart! By the way, be on the lookout for Pat Bills at Pepperdine. He has a hug from me with your name it!