Saturday, March 14, 2009

THE TRUTH AND FALSE TEACHERS

If you live among fundamental churches a lot is said about false teachers. I guess I've heard my fair share of this since I still find myself labeled as such.

Truth found in the Bible is as right as right can get because it is inspired by the Holy God's Spirit. Jesus said truth would set man free. However, a significant portion of the Truth I hear about isn't total Bible Truth but a favored portion of the one(s) marking another as false.

A stern and accusing voice does not a truthful man make. The Pharisees were all about truth and they killed Jesus (the Truth) because he was marked by them as a false teacher. Stephen was stoned to death because he was marked by the same batch of believers as a false teacher. Saul of Tarsus was a religiously stern and accusing sort out of control because he had the truth.

Even Jesus disciples who ate and walked with him did not catch the significance of the truthful things he was teaching. Get this: they didn't get it. We don't get it; me included. We religious leaders are an embarrassing foolish mess much of the time. We parade our pet doctrines as the whole of Truth when I am convinced by this age we are more clueless than clued.

Here are some things I found myself teaching falsely over the years:
  1. We (whoever "we" are) are the only ones right with God.
  2. The Holy Spirit is active from the Word only.
  3. Silence of the scriptures is a God-authorized doctrine.
  4. Women cannot pray with men.
  5. Those who raise their hands in worship are ungodly Pentecostal types.
  6. The Lord's Supper can only be observed on Sundays.
  7. The sermon is the main part of church.
  8. My convictions make me right.
  9. To be selectively biased regarding scripture is permissible.
  10. It is all right to judge others for I see better/am more sincere than they.
  11. False teachers are always someone else; but never myself....ever.
  12. It is permissible to have church with no praise of God but simply check off the list of do's and don'ts during that hour and be satisfied in my self-righteousness.

My point is I have taught many things wrong. I've been wrong. I'm sure that as the Lord grows me I'll discover even more areas where I misunderstood His Word. This doesn't bother me in the least. I am a learner. I want to know. What bothers me is that those bellowing charges of false teachers never seem to consider they are as well....in some areas....which they, too, will discover as they continue to learn.

I'll say it again. Church leaders are guilty of talking a very big talk while the world has no idea we are around. This simply does not reflect the abundant life of Jesus. And remember, he was such a false teacher (in the authoritarian religious leaders' convictions) they nailed him....and didn't care.....for they were....right, of course.

Some are so burdened about being right because they refuse God's righteousness that they are absolutely miserable in the church. Truth has become their idol. Jesus has seemingly taken a back seat to our faith but will surely be handy at the Judgment....we hope.

12 comments:

jackie chesnutt said...

F. I. Stanley wrote one of his last books a few years ago, entitled, "Religious Against Ourselves." He states that, sadly, when confronted with the fact that scripture says nothing about our traditions or even when scripture contradicts our traditions, many of us choose our traditions over unity, peace, even scripture. I have a cousin who is also a preacher; most all my family views him as faithful & me as false because I represent kitchens, clapping, basketball goals, coffee bars, candy, multiple microphones, orphan homes, cooperation, growth (a sure sign of false teaching is growing!)...and the list goes on ad nausem. I confess I found myself agreeing with your 'past' list, too. Thank God for His patience and love, huh? I value your friendship and your insights so much; you're a blessing to many. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Terry:
It is my belief that the Holy Spirit is using this kind of discussion to open eyes and change hearts. There will always be those unwilling to know the Truth.
When I heard a member of another church tell me that he would only help someone in need 2 times unless they would worship God as HE felt was correct, my jaw hit the floor. How many times am I suppose to allow? How about letting God decide how He is to to be worshiped. Or have we studied scripture ourselves so well that we know exactly how God is to be praised. Jesus was killed, but through his death it opened the eyes of those who killed him.
If people could see how churches in other counties worship, hopefully they would have a better understanding of how His Spirit works.
I know I do not have it right,
but Jesus makes it right for me.
And I need only His help to get it right! I thank God for Jesus to be my judge, and not men!
Terry, let the critics throw stones at your spirit. God can use tnis to further the Kingdom! Know that Jesus is being reveled.
We love you,
Ron Cope

Anonymous said...

Terry,
Amen.
God is good.
Keep praying. Listening to God and writing. Its helping some of us.
I know I need these reminders.
Love,
Larry

Anonymous said...

Terry - I hope I never have to put up with what you have.

Anonymous said...

One of your best posts, Terry. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Jeff Walling baptized me into Christ on the night I finally realized that I couldn't ever be right about everything -- I couldn't understand everything -- but I believed that Jesus was the real thing.

Then I spent a great deal of time being told that I had to be right about (if not everything) a particular list of doctrines that changed from place to place to place.

Thank you for this post -- for encouraging us who want to share God's inestimable love with others -- no matter what they look like or what they think about 100 different "damnable errors."

Anonymous said...

What John said. Love you brother!

Anonymous said...

"Some are so burdened about being right because they refuse God's righteousness that they are absolutely miserable in the church. "

This, for so long, was me! I needed to be right so badly because my confidence wasn't in God's redemption!

tim rush said...

just adding to your list of things I use to teach/believe...

#34. The fruit of a Christian is another Christian
#35. God doesn't speak to us today

Anonymous said...

Thanks Terry!
God continues to use you as a blessing in my life!
By HIS Grace!
Mark

Christi Bloomer said...

Absolutely beautiful post! This is why it's so easy to go to church at MD and hear you speak!

Royce Ogle said...

You are right on the money. I agree completely.

The only ground of our salvation is the worth and work of Jesus on our behalf. "On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand", even if it is coC dogma.

Royce