Sunday, March 15, 2009

THE WORKSHOP: HOW TO HANDLE OPINIONS

I live in a great position. I get to plan, assemble, and direct the Tulsa Workshop. It is an awesome and privileged task. I do it without complaint.

I've run into something quite intriguing. The brotherhood has various and strong opinions. No kidding! The question is what do we do about it? The response is very simple. We look to Jesus to see how to draw the world to him....no one else.

I can't wade into the ins/outs and druthers of a fickle and self-serving brotherhood. That's for someone else to spend their time doing if they want. Maybe they could chart it, track it, or explain it. That's not my calling. My job is one: to inspire the church to see the world with the eyes of Jesus.

Therefore, my approach to the work this year is what is was six years ago and 29 years ago: inspire the church to see the world with the eyes of Jesus. Church pet peeves have no place in the strategies of evangelism. Pleasing men has always been a no-no from God, even if they are men with big names or large printing presses.

I admire the Rick Atchleys and the Jerry Rushfords and the Jackie Chestnutts of our day who simply keep moving out to reach as many as they can while they live. I want to do the same. I am sympathetic to concerns. But I cannot be distracted by the fifteen pressure points wishing to give the body of Christ fearful arthritis of the nerve.

We must try. We must recover from mistakes. We must not abandon the war and bring the troops home where it is safe. Millions of our friends don't know if they are good enough to go to heaven. They don't know if God sees any value in their worn out and dilapidated hearts. Yet, we will raise up a generation of believers who will surrender time and money and convenience to convince our friends and neighbors of just that; they are worthy of God's love.

Opinions are abundant. The real soul winners are those who can hear various concepts, sort through the truth of them all, and continue to march for the Master of all masters. That's how I think we handle opinions. What thinketh ye?

7 comments:

Norsemanrm said...

Amen my friend!
I think the problem is that those that have the most heartburn about things don't have faith in your last paragraph.
"The real soul winners are those who can hear various concepts, sort through the truth of them all, and continue to march for the Master of all masters".
God has promised if we seek his wisdom he will grant it. Seems like if we take him at his word we would relax and look at various concepts, as you call them, with great anticipation of what he may be saying.

David Kirk said...

Well said!

Terry Laudett said...

I'm looking forward to the Workshop, even though I won't be able to attend as many events this year as normal because of work and school schedules.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've stuck around to put this event together - I know it hasn't always been easy, but I also know you understand (or perhaps you don't) how many lives are blessed as a result of the Workshop.

And I'm not just talking about the attendees - I'm talking about those the attendees minister to throughout the year.

Blessings to you and everyone else that helps with this thing.

Tim said...

Amen and Amen! our fervent prayers are on you and on this year's event... and I have a sneaking feeling God has BIG PLANS for those who are privileged to be there! God Bless! -tm

Anonymous said...

What some consider "opinion" may be "conviction" for others, and we must never impugn the motive if someone feels they have a Scriptural basis for a belief. We must respect the convictions of others, whether we feel they are being "legalistic" or "liberal."

Royce Ogle said...

Amen! I will attend the workshop for the first time this year. I am really looking forward to the experience.

Royce