Saturday, February 14, 2009

HOW I WILL IMPACT BASEBALL'S SPRING TRAINING

Should you not have noticed, I am a very influential sort. Oh yeah! I move in and out of circumstances and situations leaving a great trail of marvel behind. I did it in my recent trip to the Legends Camp at the Cardinals' Spring Training facilities in Jupiter, Florida.

Should you have missed it this is February 14th. Everyone knows the significance of such an American date. It is the opening of MLB's Spring Training. So guess who are reporting to the same clubhouse I was in? The St. Louis Cardinals.

And just how have I impacted these prime athletes as they report? Well, hang on and I'll tell you.

On my second day in camp I was dressed for the morning workouts and in the trainers room checking on teammates as well as the four trainers. One of my teammates had been hurt as he twisted his knee and evidently tore his ACLU.

While all were engaging in multiple conversations at a time, I was deep into the mix as well. Medical supplies; tape, tools, pills, etc. are scattered throughout the room available for treatment of sore muscles and assorted injuries. I walked over to the cabinet with the sunscreen on it. Several brands were there from which to choose. I was talking to some guys and grabbed a bottle of Flex-All; a muscle lotion which heats upon application.

As soon as my hand passed my nose I knew I had the wrong thing; but my hand applied the lotion anyway. Naturally, in trying to quickly rub it off I merely rubbed it in. Boy, it was hot.
I was afraid once I got in the sun I might really burn because my face was on fire.

The guys got a huge charge out of the incident. Word spread throughout the clubhouse about my mishap. The trainers worked on me twice before I headed to the field to apply a cooling treatment to my face. It felt much better.

The rest of the week the pros would call out, Hey Terry, is your face good and loose? Is that why you keep smiling; you're face it so loose?

So now on the white-board above the sunscreen cabinet for those reporting to camp are the words, "The Terry Rush Rule: Sunscreen is in the sunscreen bottles. Flex-All is not one of them."

1 comment:

III said...

Ha Ha HAA!!

Good for you, Terry. Takes a big man to be able to laugh at himself.