Thursday, July 24, 2008

HOW TO FIND MEANING IN LIFE

God hit me yesterday with a ton of bricks. Life does not satisfy so many. They simply are not alive while they live. He showed me a most important truth regarding a great need for today. How does one find meaning in life? This has to be one of the biggest questions asked. I know far too many who are sharp, pretty or handsome, and socially smooth who can’t get life to work for them. They dabble at employment as well as church as well as friends. Somewhat bummed they live a basically dud life; their words.

Is there a solution? Of course there is! Once again, though, it will be the backward answer to what earthly wisdom would assume. Meaning in life is not found in what one likes but what one doesn’t like. This is precisely why so many are moving up in years and disappointingly frustrated with how their lives are going because they aren’t going anywhere. They are stuck. Hopelessness continues to creep.

Here’s the problem. Those who fit this region have many likes. They like cute people. They like shopping. They like jobs with potential. They like friends. They like sports. They like travel. They like money. Their problem is their obsession with what they like. Their drive is to obtain more of it. The problem is a spiritual one and this is why their spirits are depressed. These wonderful people are obsessed with attaining things which please themselves and these can and will only result in boredom. Meaning in life is illusive in such zones because each appeals to the flesh, but not the spirit. It is the spirit within a person which is, therefore, unhappy.

Here’s the solution. One needs to find the main thing in life which pains them with intent to do something about it. A huge problem with meanderers is they have no interest in pains of others. They are indifferent and numb to the needs of others. Why is that? For some reason they have been sheltered from pain. Now before you jump to a wrong conclusion, I know many who are going nowhere who have suffered pain; but it has been pain over themselves and not over another.

When a person grieves over the conditions of other people, an immediate solution to the meaning in life is staring them in the face. Do you know what drives me to “can’t wait to get to work” everyday of my long life? As a kid I hated church. I could not stand the politicking, ritualistically dead system which implied God was being reflected. Tell me this isn’t so. From day one I have wanted to bust church ruts which have caused millions to walk away as they mistakenly believed what deadness they too experienced was an image of a most boring and silly God. I ache for any who find church to be dead. I’m obsessed with it. I find enormous meaning for me in helping people believe God works higher than man’s imagination.

Very nice young people are wandering aimlessly with a goal for finding something which would please them. I know a secret buried within each heart. What would really please them is to find a zone in life where they feel useful but they have been unfortunately groomed to focus upon their own pain instead of the pain of others. They struggle because they basically hurt for no one more than self. If they will but begin to hurt for others they will become informed of their tangible and realistic purpose in life. When they begin to minister to others who hurt, their own spirits will become wonderfully driven with that terrific possession called meaning in life.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Mr. Rush

Just wanted you to know your blog is like gold! I get excited to read and learn every morning.

I am learning so much about living with my eyes not focused on me...just like God intended. I know so many in my demographic (mid 30's) who live in this state of boredom and 'blah', because they're so caught up in their "stuff".

JS

tim rush said...

LOVED it! Thanks for the encouragement this morning. This post, along with the one on sowing seed like crazy are sticking with me. Thanks.

P.S. Kim and kids get back tonight!

That Girl said...

Amen!!!

Anonymous said...

Here’s the solution. One needs to find the main thing in life which pains them with intent to do something about it.

Terry, I second what JS said. I too am excited right now like never before. And God is the ignition that lights the fire and the Holy Spirit fans the flame.

Some scriptures to ponder and think over as you search for the main thing in life that pains you.

2 different friends of mine have shared with me messages that give me meaning. One is sort of a definition of DISCIPLESHIP - falling in love w/ Jesus is about who I am . . . But what I do is a result of who I am.
Another friend told me a long time ago: What I do is not who I am . . . But whose I am greatly influences what I do!

It is all about people and I said that the other day, but more than just about people but relatioships with people!!!

What is your meaning for eternal life??? look at John 17:3 3 Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. ETERNAL LIFE IS NOT JUST ABOUT SALVATION AND GOING TO HEAVEN - IT IS THAT WE KNOW GOD AND JESUS!!!
AND LOOK AT PHILIPPIANS 3:10 - 10I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death - again it is about knowing Him and the more we know Him the more He will inspire us to get to know others in true Christ like relationships.

Find meaning in Him, Jim C.

Anonymous said...

Your blog sounds like a synopis of Freiman's last chapter in Current Events, Conservative Outcomes on the meaning of life. You obviously have your act together. You go girl.

Unknown said...

Hello from California!
...just a quick note to say that I enjoyed your post...

My twist on your message is to choose to "Love Out Loud", meaning to extend love outside of my "zone" of friends and family.

I've learned that I can add meaning to every day of my life simply by talking to the 'stranger sitting next to me. Works every time!

That's my story (literally) and I'm sticking with it... And now offering you (all) a free gift (pdf) copy of my story. No strings, no spam attached, really!
(I know, hard to believe these days :-)

...just hit my web site for your gift copy.

Who was it that said: When we're young, we seek success. As we age, we seek significance!

Again, thank you!

take care,
Louise Lewis, author
www.noexpertsneeded.com