Wednesday, July 23, 2008

SPIRITUAL OBSTETRICIANS: HELPING PEOPLE BE BORN AGAIN

I’m not positive but I imagine one of the kingdom works most discussed and less activated is in the realm of one-on-one evangelism. My heart is completely empathetic. There are some who have written off the work of teaching others about hope in Christ. They just can’t do it. Others, though, want to learn how but engaging in the process seems to conveniently evade them. Let’s talk about it.

There may be those gifted in this particular work, but I’m not sure I have ever met such a person. Even the most outgoing freeze when it comes to sharing the hope found in the new Life. The reason too many give up is this is one ministry which takes a lot of trial and error. Have you ever heard of an obstetrician who didn’t need extensive training to become a doctor? Even those with what we would regard as evangelistic hearts live in great fear. We find ourselves in need of being trained to get past the fear as much as learning what to say.

I felt sure I would die (and at times wished I could) of embarrassment due to faltering in my soul winning approach. Failure is prominent; even after feeling fairly established in such work. To get started one thing which needs to change among us is to relinquish the “saving of ourselves” mentality by not trying to study with another for fear of embarrassment. This is hard work; but is worthwhile work. Don’t fear failure.

Know that all people want to know God. It may not be on your timetable, but you can be assured plain people want to know about God. You need to know that most will draw more to spiritual interest the more their world crumbles. You want to have built a respectful connection during their successful seasons to be trusted in their breakdowns. Do it. Sow seed and wait.

Not everyone seeks God from the same base but all can be reached by the same Word. Therefore, don’t pre-package your presentation and drop it on your friends like little Bible bombs. Back off. Listen to their hearts; their stories. Let God’s Spirit work with your spirit by giving you recollection of stories and passages from scripture. Learn to say things quickly like, “I don’t know” or “I once believed a certain facet of faith and realized I was wrong because….” This lets the one with whom you are working realize you don’t know everything and you trust them enough to admit it. Showing you trust them is key.

I think this type of interaction is a combination of most threatening and most exhilarating. It scares me so badly I hope they forget the appointment and thrills me so much I can’t understand why I dreaded it. This moment is precisely where their flesh is often confronted by the Spirit and we are sitting there in the battle room with them. It’s another delivery room scene of screaming pain just before the glorious re-childbirth. Rugged and awesome all in the same movement, we help people do the most important thing in life, be born again! The delivery rooms are all messy. Afterward we are worn out happy!

I’ve changed my approach to studying with others 180 degrees. I don’t worry about what I’m going to say. I am concerned that I can discern what they are really saying. I no longer feel the need to close the deal….or to win. I’m not selling God and we are not in a contest. I’m sitting in a room with a most revered and important individual for which Jesus left heaven and died a treacherous death on the cross. My job is to minister with the Word; not insensitively manipulate through canned verse order. Helping a grown person through the birth canals of God into new life is surely a masterful occupation!

(Man, self, this is a good one!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

fwAwesome & true Analogy. Only one that could be revealed through a wonderful man such Terry Rush. Terry keep on telling it like it is.

Missy:)

Stoogelover said...

Wait a minute! Doesn't this require a film strip projector and record player? Have I missed something along the way?

Excellent words today, Terry.

Anonymous said...

Terry,
Right on brother. Jesus used no canned approach with Nicodemus, but one that fit His need. His approach with the woman and the well and others was tailor made or Spirit made.
Thanks brother.
Larry, Denver

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I am not called to be a salesman or a professor. I am called to introduce folks to my best friend.

Wes said...

"There may be those gifted in this particular work, but I’m not sure I have ever met such a person. Even the most outgoing freeze when it comes to sharing the hope found in the new Life."

I'm surprised to hear you say this. I've only been in Christ a few years, and I wouldn't say what you've just said. I've not met a whole lot of people, but I have met quite a few who have no problem sharing their faith with someone else. I wouldn't even call it a gift for all of them - simply something they do, and have done enough to not be afraid of it.

You also said:

"Not everyone seeks God from the same base but all can be reached by the same Word. Therefore, don’t pre-package your presentation and drop it on your friends like little Bible bombs. Back off. Listen to their hearts; their stories. Let God’s Spirit work with your spirit by giving you recollection of stories and passages from scripture."

I understand what you're saying here, BUT it is so important for people to have a starting point when they aren't exactly as familiar with Scripture as you are, Brother Terry.

The people I work with don't know the stories you're referring to. They don't know who Abraham and Isaac are, nor are they familiar with Jonah or Jeremiah. They'll learn those other stories, but right now they just know who Jesus is, and they want to share what they know about Jesus with others.

What you call a "Bible Bomb," I call a "starting point."

:p

In addition, I've personally been blessed to have the opportunity to share my faith with many others since becoming a Christian myself, and I can tell you that likely NEVER would have happened if I hadn't had some sort of plan before sitting down to study.

Today, I don't need a "Bible Bomb" or even a plan anymore. I know enough of the Scripture to share with others exactly as you've described.

But I've also been in ministry for a few years now, have a Bible degree under my belt, and have done studies like these with others on a regular basis for several years. Very few I encounter have that type of experience.

I firmly believe the power for conversion rests with God. I believe our role is to share His Good News - whether its in the way you've just suggested, or through another means or method.

Regardless of your approach, I believe something supernatural occurs in the hearts of men when the Good News of Jesus Christ is shared.

The power is in the message, NOT the messenger or the method, and I believe it's a mistake to focus too much on either.

I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from, but I hope you won't be critical of people who don't have your experience and need a starting point from which to share their faith.

Love you,
- Wes