Friday, July 25, 2008

WHEN THE STRANGER CAME TO TOWN

I heard about a man. He didn’t really hold a notable position among the city fathers. I guess he maybe didn't even have a city of his own. But something about him evidently charged everyone around him. I learned of him from a salesman passing through our office. Ralph was telling the three of us about this fascinating sort. He said word was out that this guy, while being most common, had some sort of pull with nearly every class of people. He wasn’t necessarily magic or spooky. He was unusually interested in everyone; especially the discouraged.

The salesman, reaching for his handkerchief to swat at gnats, said he just heard down at the barber shop that this guy was on his way to a nearby town and would be passing through ours sometime between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. As the word spread we could all sense something strange in the air; tempered excitement coupled with intrigue and curiosity. It was amazing how rumor could seem to change the complexion of our little town. A man with no name? It would seem that if maybe the President or some dignitary were to visit our bump in the road this could more likely be explained.

The man came walking down main street. Those who knew him called him Jesus. It was odd: the common folk nearly worshipped him but a few of the local preachers and elders made sarcastic remarks. What’s that all about? The guy seemed to really take to us. He was in no hurry. I overheard Cybil, the bank clerk, tell Marge she was going to invite Jesus over to dinner…if he would stay. Lo and behold, he said yes. What in the world?

As pessimistic as some of you know I can be at times I couldn’t help but get caught up in the frenzy. This Jesus seemed to be unusually honest and most incredibly sensitive to every kind of pained and down-in-the-dumps individuals. Plus, he seemed up on the latest world concerns. He knew a lot about everything yet never boasted about any of it. He treated us as if we were the stars; not him.

He told my friend Bailey that he was on his way to the hill to be killed and raised up in three days. What’s that all about? I told Bailey that better not happen. I’d only known of him for about seven hours, but good grief, who’d kill a guy like this? I later learned more of this man Jesus. What he said eventually came true. Sure 'nough he was crucified a couple or three days back. It killed our hearts. The word, now, is that something weird has happened over at the cemetery. I’m gonna run over and see what that’s all about.

I’m not sure yet what all this man Jesus must be about. But I know this; I really like the fellow and something’s going on that's sorta out of this world. I wonder if their a brochure or anything on this guy. I bet Cybil might know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to the cemetery this morning and this Jesus guy wasn't there. I checked out the stories about him accepting dinner invitations in homes of folks. Along the way, I encountered him and would you believe it--he invited me to His home for dinner--said he'd pick me up later and for me to bring as many folks with me as I can.

Terry Rush said...

Whoa! Any other witnesses out there?

Anonymous said...

I was the local bakery today. It had been a terrible morning and I must have had a distraught look on my face. I was startled by a man that came up to me and said "Good Morning". I laughed and said, "Not Really". He didn't act surprised by my answer. I sat down to eat my muffin and he asked if I was thrirsty, for he would get me a drink. For some reason, I felt comforted enough to say yes. We talked a while and he explained he was a traveler of some sorts. Making his way from town to town bringing good news to those that are in need. He offered a way for me to get in contact with him in the future. I accepted. He also invited me to this celebration. It's usually on Dec. 25 but he's always around, so the date is really flexiable. I asked him if he could give me directions and he said "Sure! They are in your heart. Just listen for me knocking". We are having a feast that is out of this world so you might want to bring a friend or two. We'll have appetizers of wine and bread and then a supper fit for a king. I asked him if I could bring anything and he said "All I want is for you to be there."
I finished my muffin and turned to leave. I asked him if I needed to make a reservation and he said "Yes! I want to know ahead of time so you will have a seat at MY table."
I am so excited to attend this gathering. I'm just wondering how many I can get to go with me?