Friday, November 30, 2007

BRAND NEW HOPE

I'm reading (quite slowly) a big, thick, new book by Dr. Oz called You. It's the latest in a series of three. A friend recommended it and I find it fascinating. I'm only just past the inside jacket flaps. However, the book promises to inform its readers of scientific discoveries which will curb aging. What few paragraphs I've read enthuse me to continue on.

The thought occurred to me of the similar rush we feel (should feel) while reading the revelatory Word of God. It's not a poem we dust off for reading sentiment. The Bible dances with celebration and prods with promise that we will discover brand new hope...again....and again...and again. You presents the case that new evidence explored over the past five years gives insight for new and exciting health. The Bible takes a back seat to no book from Barnes and Noble.

Why would we assume the scriptures to be less weighty? One of the things I really enjoy about my kingdom connection is that so many other cells in the body (you, for instance) are so wide-eyed about faith and its tremendous possibilities. Recently the news reports several who are questioning the operations of Tulsa's Oral Roberts University. Yukon native Mart Green and his family have pledged $70,000,000 to help out the struggling school. An article yesterday told of Green once fasting 33 days and on Thanksgiving Day breaking a 40 day fast.

Could it be Mr. Green has an awareness I know nothing about? It's not only probable. I believe it to be factual. Yet, the good news is that what he knows through his walk with God is available.

Life is available! That's what I want you to get today. Disrupt a rut or two. Break out. Don't stop at go! Run! Because of the remaining untapped resource of Jesus and the cross, no man has discovered near what is available to the human mind and heart.

We have a brand new hope!

3 comments:

Stoogelover said...

It is sad, but too often true that we do not come to the Word with great expectations. Without fail, though, when I've spent time going deeper, I've never been disappointed ... and never could go quite deep enough!

As for fasting stuff, you know that's OT so we really don't have to do that, don't you?? :)

Jessie Rush-Cox said...

Uncle, at your church when you preach this way do they stand up and cheer at the end?! Well, they should cause I am in my office by myself giving you a standing O! I really like Greg too, but I think he needs to fast about that last comment he made.:) Dr. Oz's book is completely amazing...but right now dozens of health profs are taking his thoughts and using them as spring-boards to figure out better ones or contradictory ideas for their own agendas. His book will be replaced by an even better one. Beyonce' will one day be replaced! So will Brittany Spears by some other even loonier gal! His Word has outlived all others, and continues to LIVE. How's that for "staying power"!?haha You encourage me ALL the time, thank you. love you!

Terry Rush said...

Jessie? My favorite niece in the whole world named Jessie(all other nieces named Jessie are duds)? Is that you?

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

I miss you! I love you!