Monday, June 04, 2007

WANT TO GET AWAY?

Southwest Airlines has great commercials where moments of stress or embarrassment are supposedly reduced by the voice-over, Wanna get away? Such a phrase could be asked of every leader. Recently I've heard from one, long-distance, who is so depressed. Another, from a different state is frustrated and even disgusted over the stresses it takes to be a leader in the church. Yet from a third state, another is wrestling with the constant barriers which keeps the congregation from spiritual growth.

I have good news. No one needs to get away.

Conflict is a strong signal "something matters". There is no conflict in a cemetery. Stress and pressure are a magnificent part of the leadership package. I encounter it every day....every day. I don't enjoy it. However, it is not my enemy. I am a privileged man to get to have the sources of interruption and difficulty in my zone.

I believe we are not called to rename conflict or stress by another name so it is more palatable. We are called to endure. Trouble is the leader's workout gym. We get our spiritual muscles built and subsequently toned by exertion in such areas. Jesus is the Leader. He knows the ins and outs of making it. Once he wondered aloud whether he might want to get away. Fortunately, he retracted.

...let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you may not grow weary and lose heart...Hebrews 12:1-3.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you must be reading my heart. thanks - I needed this encouragement today.
love you today,
Billye

Liz Moore said...

You have such a great heart for God and the things that are really important. And such a great way of reminding us whose always in charge. I am always encouraged when I stop by! Love ya!

P.S. It's amazing the friends you find out you have in common through blogging! Terry Davis... what a hoot!

keith said...

I wonder, sometimes, if you have some kind of gift of reading peoples hearts and minds. You just read mine and it sure helps.

Thanks!

P.S. You are a gift, Terry!

Stoogelover said...

The Japanese "word" for conflict depicts opportunities to either jump off a cliff or build something constructive. It's our choice.

Anonymous said...

I've heard it said that conflict is really an invitation to intimacy.