Tuesday, June 05, 2007

COMMUNICATE THE UNEXPECTED

Brothers Chip and Dan Heath write in their fascinating book, Made to Stick, that one of the elements of effective communication is to include something unexpected. Such doesn't denote shock...necessarily. It does require information which would be surprising to the hearer. The idea is that abundant communication is continual; but some things are more rememberable because they were made to stick in the mind of the receiver.

Take a look at the new ad campaign by Travelers Insurance. Clips show bunny rabbits having the ever famous "rabbits foot" re-attached. Scenes of rabbits being x-rayed and receiving surgical implants are adorable. The final frame is a field full of bunnies with successful multicolored re-attachments of the "rabbits foot". One of their front paws green, some in red, others in blue. It's so cute. Furthermore, such a scene is unexpected....and Chip and Dan are right....it sticks. Travelers sells insurance but created a way for me to remember their name because of rabbit foot surgery!

How does this affect us? As leaders we will do well to compliment and encourage and cheer others when they aren't expecting it. I have my secretaries prepare three or four greeting cards a week which are for no special reason to send to members who simply need to know someone notices them for no special reason. I do the same by making random phone calls or sending surprise emails. None were expected and yet to receive surprise cheering sticks. And this kind of sticking builds. It builds connection, confidence....it builds church family.

We each have a lot going on. Unexpected and no special reason communication is a powerful part of our leadership toolbox. We may make an individuals day when we communicate at time they were least expecting it. I cheer you on......make someone's day....today!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry, I also try to send cards, notes, etc. to folks who don't expect them. It's such a rush (please, no pun intended - I just possess a weak vocabulary) to hear how often someone received one that was, on my side, randomly-generated, but on their side arrived at 'just the right time.' I continue to marvel at how God works through our feeble efforts.

Terry, I value your friendship and continued encouragement. Thanks for all you do for so many.

Liz Moore said...

It is always such a great blessing to receive a card or note you don't expect. God has a way of making sure you receive it at just the right time, when you so desperately need it. For me, it is even more encouraging to send those encouragements to others. To be aware of people's body language and notice when they might need a note of encouragement. You don't have to know the reason they need it, just that they do. That encourages me even more. Especially for ministers, they sometimes get way to much criticism and not enough encouraging. It's like the old saying, "it is better to give than receive". It truly is in so many ways.

You Terry are one of the greatest encouragers I know! You are such a blessing in so many lives. I'm so glad you decide to start blogging! Now I don't have to wait until March every year to hear your encouraging words. You my friend are one of the great blessings of life. May God continue to use you in powerful ways. Love ya!

Matthew said...

It was a helpful book for me also. As a preacher, the text was important. check out what I am reading also.
www.matthewsblog.waynesborochurchofchrist.org

Stoogelover said...

I've been the recipient of your encouragement on more than one occasion. Thanks, Terry, for a heart that shows us glimpses of Jesus.

Meowmix said...

Hi, Terry. This is the first time I've read your blog but not the first time of being the recipient of your encouragement. We have a mutual friend, known as Stoogelover in the blog world, who recently sent me some of your books. I read your book on the Holy Spirit and really gleaned so much from it, as well as God Will Make a Way. Thank you so much for sharing your insights.

Sending cards, notes, e-mails, or sharing phone calls are some of the best ways I know to build up and encourage. Add a hug to that, when possible, and you have a winning combination. Often, the people we meet every day are carrying such heavy burdens that they never share, and just to know someone cares may be their miracle (as Joel Osteen would say)!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts. I need to do more of this.