Saturday, March 31, 2007

WHY SHOULD YOU THINK TODAY HAS POWERFUL HOPE?

Do you ever hit times where you don't feel right? It's rather vague to describe, but sometimes I feel "off". In my earlier years I felt off on many occasions for longer terms. To be more specific, I lived many days discouraged and depressed. Why do you think I speak so much and so often about encouragement? It's because I wandered through the wilderness of darkness while residing in Funkville for, lo, too many years. I think others (including celebrities) have similar experiences. Thus, I have a job to do! I'm on a mission every day!

There is one passage which works much quicker than two Bayer to bring immediate relief from tempting discouragement: ....in the sight of Him whom he believed, even God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist. In hope against hope he believed....(Romans 4;17-18). This passage is magic to me. Every dilemma, every insecurity, every disorientation is resolved by the fact that our Lord can make dead issues live and no signals of hope arise to become enormous success. His illustration is Abraham and Sarah yet without the child God had promised.

When you sit with a blank stare because you don't know where to turn or what to do next, read this passage. The text goes on to say, Now not for his sake only was it written, that it was reckoned to him, but for our sake also.....(:23, 24). We are targeted for this good news. Our names are written in this text!

Why should you think today has powerful hope? This day, which has it's nagging fears and includes irritating comments? Why should you hope? Because God can stand at a kitchen table with no ingredients, no tools, no oven, and bake the most scrumptious pie one ever tasted! He cooks life up out of nothing. We believe! We adjust! We hope!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry, that is so right - just so right and yet we live like we have no hope.
Bill needed $11,000 in sales Friday to meet his monthly and quarterly targets - most jobsites were closed in South OKla due to heavy rains. He took an order for $3.77. At noon he called and said I am going home - it is depressing out here - this is completely up to God.

Last night he called me around 9pm - he can check his Friday orders on-line - 3 customers had placed orders through customer service that totalled over $12,000.00. He was in tears, just kept telling me how humbled he was by what God had done for him. Now, we think that God does not know all that concerns us and cares? I have been praying fervently that Bill would see the power of God in his life and WOW - how God took what we thought was a dead issue and gave it life!
Love you,
Billye

Unknown said...

Terry ~

I can relate - though I haven't had the ministry experience that you have, I have defintely had the "low woes" in ministry.

For a couple of reasons, I sub in the local school. I am in the high school/junior high about 3-4 times a month. Last Friday I was in the high school, overall a normal day of subbing (besides being the day before prom).

All that leads to saying that yesterday a girl who I had in class, who is a friend of another girl who occasionally comes, came to assembly. I didn't see her until I was preaching...and it gave me a boost in preaching because I was saying "Wow" (to myself) at the same time I was preaching. Yesterday's sermon is my traditional "Words of Wisdom From the Workshop" sermon about the different speakers I went to last weekend. I made mention that "after someone's interaction with you do they take a step closer to Jesus?" (taken from Don McLaughlin's series) Afterwards, a lady who has been visiting recently with a friend said "You cause me to get closer to Jesus." What a kind word!!! It was a great day "in the pulpit!"

Have a great week!
Jarrod