Friday, March 30, 2007

TOUGH BEAUTY OF CORRECTION

Arrrgh! Correction is difficult for the receivee! At times I wonder if we give ourselves a chance to grow up as we have become a generation of defensive deny-ers of needing to make any personal changes. Do we have a chance at growing into Him? Or, are we simply going to continue a pace of doing-life-my-way while we discuss on Sundays the concept of taking up the cross and following Jesus?

We live in a land of "don't offend me or I'll bolt"-ism. I'll go somewhere else. Even parents are more inclined to rear their children with fear their kids won't like them. We are stuck in spiritual quicksand of "you-won't-get-by-with-talking-straight-to-me".

Do you think Peter enjoyed being referred to by the Master as Satan? And, then to have his name rehearsed over the centuries? What a kicker. Yet, Jesus demonstrated a portion of necessary discipleship training. We don't have it all together. If we hunger for the kingdom, we'll refrain from quickly dismissing stinging criticism. We'll learn from it. We'll thank God for it.

I've gone through a ton of hard knocks in my years. Some of them, I didn't deserve. Many of them, I did. What's odd is, I deserve worse. I must not begrudge correction...even when it is quite offensive. I must not yield to the nerve of the protectionary flesh. I must keep learning through the binoculars of my tears. Cry your eyes out if you must. But, don't fail to take the test and pass it.

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing....I Satan 4:12, 13?

No, I Peter 4:12, 13. He wanted to run....and did for a day or two. But, he returned because he learned the necessity and value of being corrected.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

Wonderful stuff, Terry. We live in a world of chronic avoiders. When the going gets tough, we are more likely to look for less challenging, offensive waters elsewhere. Thank for the reminder that God does work through heartache and correction and mishaps. I love you brother - Shawn

Jeanne said...

Terry, thank you for your openness. If Christ could answer accusations and insults with love then so should I. His only response was, “Father, forgive them, they don’t know what they’re doing.” Criticism doesn’t have to be correct or even justifiable to be profitable. It all depends on the heart of the receiver whether you will grow from it, burn with anger and defensiveness, or shrivel up under it. Thank you for your heart Terry. I have learned how to be Jesus in the face of criticism from watching you as you have kept your eyes on Jesus.

Liz Moore said...

Your post reminds of the scripture in James 1...Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

We will face trials, how we handle them reveals whose we are. thanks for the reminder.