Tuesday, August 22, 2017

TRANSITION: FROM DIDN'T CARE TO PRAY---AND THEN WANTING TO PRAY

It's still weird to me how something so simple seems to be so very difficult to execute.  It doesn't take much talent, energy, nor depth of education to pray.  Yet, for me this was one of the most difficult tasks of Kingdom life because...I just didn't want to do it.

Pray bugged me.  Those who prayed bugged me.  Because I was in preaching school and eventually became a minister, I was obligated to join in on times of talking to God.  But, I didn't like it...ever!  Eventually, drastic changes took place and now I pray repeatedly throughout each day and even if I awaken during the night.

What changed?

I began to see God as Father rather than Foreman.  We began to build a relationship rather than possessing a rule-oriented working arrangement.  I wasn't a hired hand.  Rather, I was family.  I was son.

As such an awareness began to evolve, I noticed that I was talking things over with Him...and He with me.  No longer did I feel that prayer was a time where I placed an order to go.  For those who "go by the Bible", yet don't believe that God responds to us in relationship, these "going by the Bible" people fail to do one of the most fundamental requirements of a believer.  They cannot, will not, do not...pray.  I know.  I didn't either.

When God becomes Father instead of Foreman, family ties begin to develop.  Connections increase.  Trust builds.  Understanding of each other comes into play.  One begins to feel a part of the team rather than a spectator in the stands (pews).

I know how you feel if you don't like to pray.

Truthfully, those who don't most likely didn't bother to read this post as soon as they saw the title.  I cheer you on, however.  Prayer is the connecting spot between Heaven and earth.  It draws the Trinity into personal Unity.  Approach God as Father and you'll see the terrain of prayer begin to become a desire...and no longer a rolling-of-the-eyes dread.

No comments: