Thursday, May 21, 2015

WE DON'T SEEM TO GET IT

How can the feelings of inferiority dampen our hearts so strongly when we, simultaneously, feel we are a bit sharper than most others?  It almost seems like an ego-down, ego-up scenario of sorts.

One day I can be pouting because I alone live in this shell of mine.  And the reviews that I give to myself about myself aren't very favorable.  In the very same day irritation can arise because of how stupid I think others are.  Of course I keep my misaligned ego quiet so that I can sit in steep judgment without any of my comments tipping my hand.

I don't seem to get it.  We don't seem to get it.  We are somebodies made by God.  Yet, we forget that His created somebodies were not created to judge others.  When we judge we either put ourselves down or build ourselves up.  These conclusions can only come about by comparison.; how we are doing against another's performance.

For we are not bold, states the insightful apostle, to class or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves; but when they measure themselves by themselves, and compare themselves with themselves, they are without understanding.  This is why we don't seem to get it.  Our value, up or down, is not legitimately gauged by placing one against another.

A breakthrough for me was when I finally quit comparing myself to any others.  When I did I was usually coming up short.  But in the maze of inferiority, I seemed to carry a perpetual snubbing toward some who seemed to me to be ridiculous; as if I weren't. Obviously, I am also one who didn't seem to get it.

So what is it we want to get?

II Corinthians 3:4-5 defines what wimpy egoists like me need to consider to sort through this quagmire of brainwave interference.  We are all inadequate in the sight of God.  Yet, these same inadequate ones fortunately find adequacy in the Spirit.  And such confidence we have through Christ toward God.  Not that we are adequate in ourselves as considering anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God.  The next verse informs us that it is the Spirit in this equation who gives life.

Hang with me on this.  When we don't seem to get it, we are on the right track.  How God can use us when we are useless and dumb seems "ungettable".  It is believable. This takes trust....of Him.  Personal inventory insists "we can't".  Personal faith argues, "He does...through us."


No comments: