Sunday, February 22, 2015

THE DISTRACTING PURSUIT OF RELIGIOUS STANCES

To balk at the truthfulness that God is real is not the only tactic which would please dark forces.  There is a fundamental need for all to know the way, the truth, and the life which is to be possessed by and in Jesus.  Yet, Jesus doesn't seem to have the church spotlight.

No, we minor in Jesus while majoring in wandering pursuit of distractions. Distractions can be truths which would be valuable to discern, for sure.  But if their goal is within themselves and not to know Jesus better...then there you have it.  This only serves as another religious creation of man to keep others from pondering the Lamb of God.

I'm not innocent in this matter.  I've had my series of disgruntlementations which chewed up my time when Jesus received my mere name-dropping; so to speak. Therefore, this post serves as a warning or at the very least a reminder that it is religion's nature to get caught up in distractions under the guise of truth.  When all is said and done, it will still have been a distraction.

What version of the Bible is the accepted version?  That was a hot-button topic at the time of my conversion.  There were opinions and sides and bold claims of right and wrong, black and white conversations in abundance.  Jesus truly seemed secondary.

Our stance on the authority of elders was a big one to me.  My opinions were mighty. Simultaneously, I was preaching Church of Christ and not Jesus Christ.  Distraction kept me from seeing a major flaw about myself while I was correcting those (my assumption) weaker folk.

Could a woman teach a Bible class in a building; but not on a bus?  We argued this one and caused resentment along the way.  Really?  Women could teach if the property was standing still; but not if rolling on wheels?  Distracting pursuit?  Possibly?

Fast forward today.  Have you ever heard of the term worship wars?  Really?  A people so possessed by the Holy Spirit of God that we would actually divide over worship styles?  The answer is yes.

Women's role is a current fad of front-burner issues that I believe is yet another distracting pursuit.  The reason is that in the clamor I don't see or hear any battle for Jesus to be dominant.  Stances are the issue.

In each of the above, along with a host of other doctrinal segments, there is important insight to be gained.  In every case, these matter.  Yet, we must awaken to our perpetual thirst for majoring in minors compared to knowing our Lord.

Some like me have been consistently off at this point.  Spiritual equilibrium must be regained by singular pursuit of Jesus; wherein all other matters will find wholesome resolution.  The world did not want to know in the '40s whether it was best to take communion with one cup or individual cups; and it still does not want to know.

Who will save us from our perverse selves?  Jesus would be of utmost importance.  As we learn more of and from him, we will surely be found to have gained spiritual wisdom regarding the assorted issues which continually serve as significant distractions.

No comments: