Saturday, February 07, 2015

STATIONED FOR COMMUNICATION

Let's see.  How many links of communication does one have at his or her disposal?  Let me count some of the ways.  You got your telephone.  You got your postal service.  Oh yes, there's that email and voice mail and Texting and Pintrest and....well there are surely alternatives to get the job done.  Oh, and then there is that other mode of (how I almost forgot) prayer.

Prayer.

You know.  That communication concept that works off of a Satellite System from way out there in space somewhere?

Prayer.

Verbal expression that, for most, seems to be a futile exercise in time consumption?

Prayer.

For the longest time, not only did I not do it, I resented the need to do it.  However, much has changed for me and maybe I could encourage some of you to restart your engines.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not an ideal praying person.  It's just that I've learned to need it, like it, and do it.  If my technique would be meaningful to you....well, there ya go!

Prayer for me has been a time of God and me together.  I speak to Him as well as listen for Him.  As soon as I awaken--every day--I tell God how grateful I am for Him.  Prayer is a conversation where we brag on our Life-giver.

As soon as I back the car out of the drive I praise Him for what He has done for those on my street, those in far away lands who are being mistreated, and for the great unfolding plans He has for His kingdom today.  I thank Him for people in cars that I know not their name; but I am sure they are in need of His direct attention.

I thank God...throughout the day.

While people are talking to me in my office, I will whisper inwardly of my gratitude for His delight in them.  For my hometown of Memphis, Missouri, He knows how proud I am that He gives all attention.

For my sweet congregation in Tulsa which is surely immature, and lacking in so very many things, so strong, so dynamic in others; yet God has chosen to let a wimp of a guy like me be a part of their great nature?

How could I do anything but tell Him of my complete wow?

And as I lean in upon sleep for the night, I remind Him of the 48 names of my neighbors that I've met over these last three years; secretly seeking His blessings upon them all.

Stationed for communication.  We hold in our hands these cute little framed boxes which can contact the world in an instant---like Instagram--but no mode of contact can compare to prayer.  It isn't a churchy routine.  No.  Prayer is a breathing communication between you and the Greatest Communicator....Ever!

You can want a lot of things in life.  But to be clear, if you have not yet developed a true sense of prayer, you are out there on your own.  That can be appealing for a while.  Yet, linking up with God in a real, substantive way is of utmost importance....as well as blessing.





No comments: