Wednesday, November 05, 2014

BE ALIVE! NOW!

Life is a tricky proposition.  It can be ignored while we seek it.  There is a tendency to trash what we have by the distraction of wanting more.  I would be guilty of once wishing my life away while many would have loved to enjoy just my simple normal day.

How many would love to have eyes to see?  Ears to hear?  Arms that could throw a ball? Legs that could run?  So many don't possess these fundamental skills.  Me?  I didn't seem to notice my blessings because I was wishing for bigger and better...always something I didn't have.

Yes, we live in a strange world of missing the point as well as the moment.  Glory and wonder and awe could and should fill our minds regarding where we live, who we know, and what God lets us do.  It is a good thing--a very good thing--to live day by day with hearts brimming with thanksgiving.

Henri Nouwen struck a chord with me when he wrote, And how can a belief in a "hereafter" be an answer to the search for immortality when there is hardly any belief in the "here"?  So I raise his question again today.  Do we notice the marvel of the privilege to be able to read these words and paragraphs?  Or, has perpetual eyesight just become an expected standard of which we've grown indifferent and possibly unthankful?

One of my steady comments is, Don't you love right now?  I often ask it of others for this very point.  We tend to lose awareness of the grand scheme of life all around us. We get in and out of a car when there are so many who have not the capabilities to encounter such a move.  Yet, others have never sat in a car while others have never seen one.

We are most blessed.  We are incredibly fortunate.  It is important that we not miss the abundance of life in which we sit because we keep looking for the victory of winning the lottery.  We are a very rich people....now.

Be alive!  Now!  And may our faces show it!  And, may our speech confirm it!

No comments: