Tuesday, July 01, 2014

GROWING DEEPER IN THE SPIRIT

Shallowness bugs me.  I'm shallow.  I bug myself.

To listen to those of us serious about God and kingdom life, one might believe we are among the more serious.  Well, I think we are....in places.  Yet, by noting those we deem less devoted, we simultaneously commit increasing shallowness.

We are not to compare ourselves.  When we do...so says II Corinthians 10:12...we are without understanding.

I would not know of the multiple ways to grow deeper in the Spirit.  I do know that for me a beginning would be for me to curtail my constant assessment that I am better than others.  Oh, I try not to be blatantly obvious; yet, inwardly I speak so critically of so many who aren't as me.

BTW...none of you are like me!  And, aren't you relieved?!

We must guard against a very errant assumption that we are ever smarter, wiser, or better than others?  In places, we may be.  Yet how quickly we forget our own chasmonic gaps.  Or, how sadly we never acknowledge them.

Regardless, we have a calling to develop in the Holy Spirit of Jesus.

For many of us, a good place to start would be to refrain from elevating ourselves by mistaken and faulty comparison with another.  As each of us is gifted by His Spirit, we each must remember our sins are so dark that it took the Son of God to be executed upon the cross for all; no exceptions...only eventual exemptions by His abundant mercy and grace.

No comments: