Tuesday, October 01, 2013

WHY WE WILL INCREASE IN PRAYER

For me as a newly converted Preaching School student, prayer was a class topic; not a way of life.  I didn't mind that we opened class or closed church services with a prayer.  They seemed both quaint and appropriate.

Overall, however, prayer was nothing more than a time-waster; a dead-end alley of sorts.  It meant little and took us nowhere.

When new as the preacher at Memorial Drive we even brought in my friend, Albert Lemmons, to conduct a Prayer Seminar.  Oh the agony of me putting on a happy face while inwardly begging for these torturous evenings to end.  To top it off friend Albert had us fast for three days.

Oh brother!!  Now a waste of time plus a sacrifice of food!!  The first is tough enough with me surely having ADDDDDDDDD.  But now....food missing!!!!

Well...I did it.  I prayed and fasted.  I prayed the fasting would soon end.  I'll never forget going out as a group to break the fast at a restaurant.  That prayer over the food meant soooo much to me!!!

I set this stage to tell you that, for me, I learned I didn't need to first learn to pray.  No.  My first lesson needed to be to learn to believe.  I didn't believe God was active.  Through the many classes and writings on so many things that had ceased, I had mistakenly picked up that God's work had ceased.

The work was now up to us!

So why pray?

When I began to read from scripture that God was active in His Spirit for us...now...today..., I entered a new world of wonder that perpetually increases.  It appears I needed to have a relationship with God.  My understanding had stalled at believe everything right.  I knew Bible but I didn't know God.

Learning to relate to God changes everything; how one reads the Word, how one relates to others, and whether one prays.

When we learn to believe bigger we will want to pray more...and like it.

No comments: