Wednesday, October 02, 2013

I'M THE 26TH MAN ON THE ROSTER

As God is the God of all nations so is He of all teams.

I am the 26th man on the St. Louis Cardinals' roster; my team. We are now headed into the National League playoffs.

My role is not as a fielder or a hitter.  No, mine is to pray.  I guess one could surmise there might be around 10,000 other 26th men and women on this roster.

Our role is not to pray for the Cardinals to win; although we do celebrate when such occurs.  No, our role is to pray for God to be glorified through their roles during and around the game.

These men have stresses at home, problems with finance, and questions of concern just as the rest of us do.  The first 25 on the roster and their coaches and manager live regular lives where families have needs and bills have deadlines.

Because the Cardinals are my team and because I know a few of them personally, I pray for them regularly. That's the one meaningful thing I can do.

So it is with you.

You can be the assistant to your bank manager, the co-pilot for your favorite airlines, or a teacher for a 5th grader next door who is having trouble reading....by praying for these in your small terrain of this vast world.

You can be on the roster of another major league team or an assistant to surgeons at a major hospital because you can enter their world through the invisible (yet welcomed by most) door of prayer.

Mike Matheny, Cardinals' manager, has been a good friend for the last five years.  I was praying for him during the managerial selection process for the Cards a couple of years back and continue to do so in season and out.  I have been in prayer for him these past few days because this tender-hearted Christian has to make wise decisions regarding the playoffs.

This is a stressful load.

My role as the 26th man on the roster is to pray.  No, I don't get paid.  No, I don't get a championship ring. But, yes, I get to do something important for people and that is pray.

You are the same when you pray for leaders of nations, teachers in classrooms, and the homeless beneath the bridges.  We may not have our own uniforms; but we each have our own duties.  Pray with confidence. All need it.

You are also on the roster of any group you wish.  Pray without ceasing.


No comments: