Tuesday, September 10, 2013

ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT TO KEEP YOU ON THE EDGE OF YOURS

Preachers are just a most unique and unusual sort.  One of the reasons I vowed as a kid growing up in my little Presbyterian church that I would never be a preacher is our guy seemed so dull.  To me he caused church to follow those boring steps.  I had two main questions when it came to Sunday mornings; Do I have to go? and How soon will it all be over?

However, now that I am one, nothing has changed as far as sensing the importance of biblical presentations.  Guys in my shoes are constantly called to look and be alive because we are ambassadors for the Great Liver!  We must not communicate that God is irrelevant and the Word is much to do about nothing.

Jesus offers us ABUNDANT LIFE.  I say let's dig in!

Watch Jesus.  Ponder him.  Study his moves.

Jesus cut against the grain of everything including dull and deadening religion.  Truthfully, he gave church leaders the most trouble.  Sinners, he loved.  Leaders who seemed to have forgotten they were too sinners, he baffled.

Jesus led a life of risk, loneliness, and danger.  He keeps us on the edge of our seats because he seems to never function according to assumed reasonable script.

Communities don't want to know churches who are keeping house.  They want to know if anyone can break the cemetery code.  One can.  One did.  One does.  One will.

I live in the church on the edge of my seat just wondering what he might be doing next.  Try to chart God and you'll fail.  Seek to explain Jesus and you'll turn onto an avenue of complete surprise.  Take a stab at putting Holy Spirit lingo into English concepts and you'll wonderfully throw up your hands in frustration.

Preachers, we might out to let God keep us on the edge of our seats so that those who listen might remain on the edge of theirs.

No comments: