Thursday, May 23, 2013

Reframed


by Tim Rush (Terry’s youngest and probably favoritist child)
By the way, this blog is being hacked… well, sort of. 

Dad came to Guadalajara last week for a short visit.  While here, he wrote a couple of blog posts from my computer and forgot to sign out.  Thus, when I went to check his blog this morning I realized I am now able to “put some words on it”, to steal his line. 

Instead of having all the fun myself, I want to invite you to put some words on dad’s blog too.  (I thought about waiting for dad’s 66th birthday which is coming next month, or for his 36th anniversary at Memorial which takes place in July… but being a Rush, I just can’t wait that long.)

So here’s your invitation:  How has dad impacted, your kingdom walk? 
I’ll start with one of the things dad continually teaches… and lives:  Replace worry with thankfulness (Philippians 4:6-7).    

I’m a worrier by nature.  I hate it, but it’s true.  After struggling to find peace amidst the chaos around us, I’ll remember dad’s constant example of thankfulness.  It takes effort, but my reality changes as I give in to this kingdom truth.  It usually starts like this:  “God, thank you.  We both know I don’t feel thankful, but I’ll be thankful out of obedience.”  Perhaps I have to confess this a few times, before I start giving thanks with feeling.  And God is true to his word.  The peace cannot be described.  My heart is reframed through thanksgiving.  Instead of worrying about the situation, I begin to anticipate God’s movement.  Stress is replaced with the anticipation of what God might do.   I’m thankful for a dad who lives this kingdom secret out loud. 

Thanks, dad, for reminding me that God can bring good from any situation.  I think your life is so fun because the hassles remind you to watch for God, instead of slowing you down.       
 

No comments: