Sunday, December 02, 2012

AS JESUS BUILDS HIS CHURCH

Regardless of what some would assume, I still believe Jesus is building his church.  I just don't happen to think it is restricted to nor inclusive of only Churches of Christ.

The church continues to be built by the Founder.  I so enjoy the thought of being a part of it.  But my time is surely still one of apprenticeship. 

One of the many mistakes I have made in this training is my failure to recognize what it is Jesus is about.  I started off a house o' fire in slamming the lost and labeling the liberal.  I knew my Bible...so I thought.

True, I did know parts of my Bible; but was soon found to be guilty of its accusation that some knew their Bible but did not know Jesus.  That would also be me.

I have grown to love being a part of his church construction.  He has really surprised me in an area I simply didn't see coming.  I thought the right church had to do with right beliefs based upon the right Bible interpretation.

In later years I  have noticed something life changing and church changing.  Right beliefs are more accurate when one watches where Jesus walked....among the needy.  It wasn't biblical enough according to Jesus' example to merely theorize outreach.  Rather, it is more Christlike to touch the poor.

Christians extending to the poor transform churches from static to sturdy, from whining to winning, and from judgmental to justice.  Odd, don't you think, that a walk down the Gospels Path finds Jesus in trouble at turn upon turn because he was dealing with the poor rather than focusing on the rules.  His walk was his belief system.

Yes, as Jesus builds his church I believe we come closer to the Truth by actually wading into the streets among the poor rather than discussing again in class on Sunday morning why other churches aren't doing church the right way.

1 comment:

Greg England said...

This is powerful, Terry. After preaching in churches of Christ for over 3 decades (I am still amazed that you have preached for the same church longer than I preached in total!!) and now attending a community church close to our house (as well as having served as an elder here), I find myself questioning our priorities. It seems churches around us do good, but by far the energy and finances go to support "the system." It pays for building rent / mortgage, salaries, insurance, etc. but such a small part actually goes to helping those around us who need the help.

Case in point: We recently moved from a school building to a leased "permanent" facility in this area's prime location. We needed $100,000 to make the move and remain debt-free. I think we raised about 3/4 of it and made the move, leaving some lesser things undone. However, at the same time, we have numerous families who have lost their homes, are out of work, or facing financially crippling illnesses. It just seemed so spiritually shallow and insensitive to ask people to give this amount of money to move from a school to a leased facility when so many of our people really needed serious financial help ... and still need that help.

Most recently, we had to let a staff minister go for financial reasons. So another family is now in need while we keep feeding the system.

I am becoming less and less interested in supporting just another church system and more interested in truly helping those among us who need help.

I love your heart for those Jesus had a heart for. It is so needed in churches today.