Friday, June 03, 2011

DISPELLING DISCONTENT

Humanity has a deep hunger for the Spirit of God.  Signs galore show up.  Discontent is a spirit issue.  Circumstances are not problems to the spirit.  We truly can learn to be content in each of them.  Henri Nouwen pointed out we have great need to unmask our many self-deceptive games.  Our first task is to dispel this vague, murky feeling of discontent and to look critically at how we are living our lives.

Nouwen points to two major players in the deceptive discontent game; filled and unfulfilled.  Filled references our busy calendars and unfulfilled reflects our driving nature to live up to the expectation of others.  Both fatigue the heart while stirring the discontent pot to a full boil.

I learned to unpack the discontent of a filled schedule.  I learned it from one person.  He is the only one who taught me such strategy.  No one else approached the subject in a helpful manner.  His name?  Jesus. 

I was watching him one day deal with the lame, sick, blind, and neglected.  Abruptly he walked away from a crowd which had stood in the noon-day heat just to get their chance to meet and greet.  He walked away without explanation.  He was done.  It wasn't that he didn't care.  He appeared spent.

My insecurity balked at this.  A filled calendar was good for my needy ego.  I was in demand.  I was also becoming irritated with the very ones I was to love.  I overheard Jesus give lofty advice one day and I took it.  Friend, let your yes be yes and you no be no.  To break the bondage of self-deception one must let go of what we think other people will think.

Understandably, the discontent of a filled schedule insists, then, that we are unfulfilled for we are not engaged in the things which matter most to our hearts.  We are playing church, playing Good Samaritan, and playing life.  It's all a drama on a stage in front of our neighborly audiences.  Eventually we will become quite weary of living simply to gain their approval.

Nouwen insists this creates boredom, resentment, and depression.  I can tell you I broke from it.  I didn't know if I could or if I would.  I did!  Thus, I say to you that should discontent be stalking you it might be a good idea to see if you are being led by the calendar as well as the expectations of others. 

Learn to say no to the many things in order to get more quality fruit from your steady efforts.  Dispel discontent.  You don't need it and you don't have to incubate it.  Let it go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts. Isn't it amazing that God made us so that when we aren't living for His purposes, but rather to please others, it's tiring and unfulfilling? I'll give credit to Brian Mashburn for recently posting a quote by CS Lewis that stated something to the fact that when he realized that he had a longing inside that couldn't be satisfied by this world he realized he must have been made for another one.

It's still tough at times to draw a line and say "no" sometimes when you see a need. Granted, the need may just be the need for a volunteer to do something at church, but still.

Another prime cause of discontent for me that rears it's ugly head sometimes more than others? Seeing the new, shiny "stuff" that others have. However, it doesn't take long, either from observation or own experience, to see that after a short while, the "stuff" doesn't fill the void either!

Jay

Anonymous said...

My spouse reminds me of this because I say yes too easily, but I've been working on keeping my word also when it is easy to make excuses. It would serve all of us to be careful with our words when some hold us more accountable to them, when you think they are not paying that close attention or will let you off the hook. When you say yes and wish you hadn't, you do fall into resentment.

Thanks for reminding us that Jesus is the ultimate example of being honorable and wise with His time. j (your imaginary friend)

Anonymous said...

Mr. Rush, thanks for the encouragement. You have NO IDEA how much I needed this today. I LOVE being busy, but sometimes so much so that it becomes detrimental, and potentially gives satan a foothold.