Monday, March 14, 2011

BREATHE EVANGELISM (PART II)

Thank you, J, for your comment and question which you left regarding "Breathe Evangelism".

Which book? I relate to Tina and your advice about “baby steps” and agree. When it gets to the point of study though, I have trouble. Sometimes when I get their attention in learning more or accept something to read, they may be uncomfortable about following me to a preacher’s office for further help or to call one over (I feel like we’re ganging up on them). I believe when the “rubber meets the road,” they don’t believe the messenger, me, that I am qualified to study with them. Is there a book (easy for dummies) you recommend to guide you through scripture or to give to someone that encourages the student? I have looked at some things (either they are not me, not my style or too time consuming in the recipient’s mind). j


First, I throw the good question to the readers.  What book would you recommend J?

So many books will do.  I like to recommend books that speak of Jesus. 

Henri Nouwen's The Return of the Prodigal as well as The Wounded Healer do a terrific job of portraying our Savior.  Yancey's newest, What Good Is God? is a wonderful heart opener for doubters.  My new MVP! book is specifically written for those who feel inadequate; like they would never be good enough to be accepted by God.


I am not fond of "steps books" for they tend to lead one to develop a nature to follow rules rather than the Person.  However, different strokes for different folks surely is in play here.  Having just concluded an actual class series I did for seekers leading toward Baptism Sunday is study I ponder about placing in book form.

I believe a great variation of books which open the mind and heart to God are most useful in growing one's spirit toward the Son. 

Second, I mention all us this to other readers for any to comment.  What books have you found effective?  What would you offer as effective direction for J?

1 comment:

Donovan said...

If we're talking about just finding something that's pretty easy to use to talk to someone about Jesus, one that I was introduced to as a young Christian uses the book of Mark to see who Jesus is and what He offers us. You can find an online version of it here: http://www.knowtruth.com/study/mark_study_1.php.

If you're looking for something easy outside of Scripture to introduce someone to Jesus, there's a little book by Tony Jones, "Twelve Days With Jesus," that I've been pretty impressed with. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0834150506/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000ZKCNCS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MNFTGA4MWJNXVJYFFH1