Monday, November 29, 2010

WHAT DO YOU SAY TO ONE HIGHLY OFFENDED AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?

A note came to a few of us from a dear friend who had been hurt by another.  A struggle ensued of frustration, disappointment, and even retreat.  His words called for help; and help we must and can.  So what would you say? 

I share my note back simply for the purpose that you may find similar times where you are called to minister to one hurting over sinful deeds coming in their direction.  If the following words help....then good.

Friend,

I read your words with the pain intended. While I am sorry for your struggle; yet I am proud of you in it. You are a good man.


Here’s how I get through this kind of thing…for it is very much a part of our walk; intentionally so. I would direct you to II Pet. 2:21-25….read about Jesus dying from the cross to save us….and then (since it was written that we catch our purpose)….read it again by putting your name everywhere Jesus name goes and putting the offender’s name everywhere our name first went. You will discover, again, the cross is for such a time as this. Jesus healed us and we, in turn, heal others….both healings take place from the cross. The world of sinners cannot get well without the perpetual dying on the cross by those indwelled by Jesus.

Rejection and offense are the style of the cross and it is at that point we tend to want to abandon. Don’t. Rather do the impossible as did Jesus….forgive. Don’t just forgive and forget….but by your forgiving you make the offender well. He/she cannot get well until a savior (us following in his steps) releases others of their shameful error.

You are a hero to me, my friend. It means a lot to me you would reach to us.

Blessings and love to a very good man,


Terry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 Peter 2:21-25 Thanks for the advice. i needed it!
Philip Sims
Haskell tx

James Riley said...

Terry,
What a godsend this post is. I have meditated and prayed and considered for a few weeks asking you something similar. You see, much of what you say has hit me right between the eyes. I have made all those mistakes. But one thing has bugged me: after I identify all those mistakes, I have been left holding onto all "their" mistakes. I have been lied to by "spiritual" leaders who have not kept their word, I have been abused by them and mistreated. So, I was going to ask you what to do about that! Sadly, my mind kept going back to Matthew 23 (judgment brother!) and I totally missed 1 Peter 2:21-25. Praise God who hears the thoughts of our hearts and provides answers before we even ask the question!