Wednesday, November 10, 2010

PREACHERS....AND THEIR FEAR OF BEING FIRED

This clearly isn't a pleasant topic.  It saddens me to know of the conversations over the years with men who greatly feared being fired.  In addition, discussions with those who have been dismissed is most strenuous.  I specifically address the fear due to what is/was preached.

I lived in such fear on many Sundays in my earlier days at Memorial.  I once called my friend Jeff Brown asking if he would visit our congregation the next day (Sunday) as I felt sure they would fire me.  Indeed, a meeting was subsequently held seeking my dismissal.

As cowardly and insecure as I was, to preach strong ideas in the face of powerful opposition is intimidating and threatening.  I would often gather my family on a Saturday evening and apologize for I felt I would be fired the next day. 

But I trusted God.  I honestly did not assume I had a great grasp on truth nor did I have superior insight to the Scriptures.  I simply could see that the law was killing us as there was no Holy Spirit allowed.  A big challenge came when I quit preaching brotherhood issues and began preaching Christ.  This may sound strange but the subject of Jesus is very different from marriage and divorce, five-steps to worship, and the Spirit of God works through the Word only.

I want to say to you men who fear being fired that I am deeply concerned for you.  I am clueless enough about my own work.  My huge and magnified flaws leave me little room for giving advice.  Yet, because I have been in your shoes and may be so again one day, I would urge you where you can and when you can to simply trust God to work things out. 

He will not abandon us.  He will let us die on the cross; but He will not do so in vain.  Keep preaching the truth the best you see it and let the Spirit of God make adjustments in the congregation as He may have wished to do for a long time.

I write not from authority.  I do so from love for you and your congregation.  God's ways may feel so backward at some of the worst moments in ministry....and He will be right on target every time.

Blessings....and I mean it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, Terry. I'm one of those preachers who lives with this anxiety -- especially this time of year when I will soon have my annual performance review.

CofC Preacher

jason reeves said...

Thank you for the call to courage my friend.

Glory to God!

Jason

Greg England said...

I was very blessed the last half of my 30 years of preaching to have complete freedom in what I preached and without any fear of being fired. Elders and people didn't always agree with what I preached, but there were never threats. And I preached some sermons that would have sent me packing in many mainstream churches of Christ simply because I refused to preach the issues and focused on grace.

You have a good heart, Terry. Always encouraging preachers, especially the younger guys.

Jeremy Schopper said...

Brother Terry,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am encouraged by the road you have traveled and am grateful for sharing your experiences. I have journey a similar path.

Over the past year I have slowly realized or re-centered my life, my faith and my preaching around Jesus Christ. I have spent too much time with dogmatic issues instead of Jesus. I seek God's forgiveness for that and pray that He will allow me many opportunities to make up for past failures.

I enjoy reading your thoughts and I appreciate your humble spirit. Thank you.

Yours in Christ,

Jeremy Schopper