Wednesday, November 10, 2010

THE MAJOR DOCTRINE GONE UNNOTICED

The first thing I do when I open my eyes and realize I'm me is to thank God.  The first thing I do when I start my drive down the street at 6:30 a.m. is to tell God how thankful I am for Him.  The last thing I do when my head hits the pillow is to tell God Thank You!

When I stand in the shower I think of those imprisoned in the noon-day heat in third-world countries' prison camps......and I can't help but feel thankful.

I think a profound Christian trait which goes unnoticed as doctrine among us is that of thankfulness.  I don't think God was kidding; He expects it of us and yet believers (of all people on earth) deny it.  We are moody with it.  Yet, we are to be thankful in all things; in all circumstances.

Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS; again I will say, rejoice!  Let your forbearing spirit be known to all men.  The Lord is near.  Be anxious for nothing, but IN EVERYTHING by prayer and supplication WITH THANKSGIVING let your requests be made known.

For some reason a brotherhood of debate and defend has yet to pick up on this doctrine which is most crucial among us if we are going to offer light to the world.

So?  Be thankful.
  1. Be thankful for food.  Not what you will have to eat tonight but the fact you will have food tonight.
  2. Be thankful for pain.  Not that you enjoy the toothache but that you are aware you are not a leper who can feel no pain at all.
  3. Be thankful for boredom.  Not that you want to stay there but that you don't own an iron lung.
  4. Be thankful for bad news.  Not that you thrive on it but that you do have ears to hear.
  5. Be thankful your feet ache from standing at work too long.  Not that you would wish this but that you aren't living from a wheelchair.
  6. Be thankful for grouchy bosses.  Not that a kind one wouldn't do but so many have no employment.
  7. Be thankful for bad days.  Not that you desire a series of them but that your good ones will so shine.
  8. Be thankful that you lack.  Not that you wouldn't want to grow in knowledge and talent but that you need so many friends around you to complete you.
  9. Be thankful that you.....(you fill in the blank).
Almost two decades ago Mary, Wendy, and I returned from the sickening murder scene.  I was rocked.  The only thing I knew to do, after getting to bed at 2:30 a.m. and up at 6:00 for I couldn't sleep, was to come into my office, get on my knees, and tell God thank you for everything that had gone right.

Oh how some of our brethren with big voices, prominent stages, and printing presses live to hurl divisive comments about pertinent doctrines.  But few there are who dare be as rigid about the doctrine of living in thanksgiving. 

Yet it is true, those who live in the gratitude and grace of Jesus surely must display dispositions of thanksgiving at more places than a prayer before a meal.

Thankfulness.....it is a major doctrine gone unnoticed.

4 comments:

Steven said...

Being thankful is part of believing one is worthy. I wrote this in my blog this week. I am thankful for our friendship Terry. Thanking God first thing in the morning is part of giving our first fruits to Him.

Too often many hold the past as chains to make us feel unworthy, and we become not thankful. Many complain about their situations they are currently in. Only if one can find they are worthy can they begin to look for the positive and being thankful for the blessings God provides.

Tomorrow is Veteran's day. I am thankful I served, but more thankful for those who died, so that we can have this wonderful freedom of speech and to say Thank you Terry for your leadership and caring attitude towards others.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite songs is "Thanks to God for my Redeemer." When I'm feeling, um, less than thankful, I try to remember these words:

Thanks to God for my Redeemer,
Thanks for all Thou dost provide!
Thanks for times now but a memory,
Thanks for Jesus by my side!
Thanks for pleasant, balmy springtime,
Thanks for dark and stormy fall!
Thanks for tears by now forgotten,
Thanks for peace within my soul!

Thanks for prayers that Thou hast answered,
Thanks for what Thou dost deny!
Thanks for storms that I have weathered,
Thanks for all Thou dost supply!
Thanks for pain, and thanks for pleasure,
Thanks for comfort in despair!
Thanks for grace that none can measure,
Thanks for love beyond compare!

Thanks for roses by the wayside,
Thanks for thorns their stems contain!
Thanks for home and thanks for fireside,
Thanks for hope, that sweet refrain!
Thanks for joy and thanks for sorrow,
Thanks for heav’nly peace with Thee!
Thanks for hope in the tomorrow,
Thanks through all eternity!

Brian's Bibilcial Minute said...

Thank you God for your Spirit; who reforms us daily in your ways.

I am thankful for daily reformation that takes place in our lives and our world so that the simplicity of the Gospel is seen and heard.

I am thankful that you did not give us a spirit of timidity, but you gave us a spirit power, the spirit of love, and the spirit of self-discipline that sustain us through out the spiritual journey!

Terry Laudett said...

Good thoughts, Terry Rush! You may like "Choosing Gratitude" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. It was a great book about thanksfulness.