Wednesday, March 24, 2010

WHEN GOD TALKS TO US

Experiencing God is a relatively new thing for several in the Churches of Christ. While we have been sincere in our approach, we have chosen to steer clear of anything which could toss us into the salad bowl of questionable position. In other words, we have chosen a doctrine of safety which was never authorized by scripture.

As we wade into the deep waters of the kingdom there will be gigantic opportunities to need to weigh what we know of God against what we have secretly vowed to always believe. Whether we like it, our vows will always be challenged by God Himself.

One of the things we have learned not to say is "God talks to me". This could be viewed as an imaginary radical who can't prove what he or she claims. Thus we toss God out with the bath water and rely only on some of those verses we see in print with flesh eyes; but cannot dare allow ourselves to view by faith with eyes of the heart...Eph. 1:18

God talks with me. He works with me. He promised He would.

I heard Jim Cymbala reference God talking to Him when he shaves. Same here. Often He has things to say to me as soon as I awaken and I haven't begun to think about anything...He shows up. This morning was no exception.

As soon as I realized I was awake, He was giving me His ideas about something I was preparing for Saturday's class at the workshop. It was something in scripture I had never thought of. I didn't think of it on my own for I didn't know it. He spoke the ideas to me.

Why we are so gun-shy about this...I get. We don't want to appear to be.....believers. We want to have a respectable building to attend while we complain to the religious community it isn't the church (people are) and we are quick to correct any who would reference our preachers as reverend.

But to acknowledge we experience God is simply over the edge for some. It seems hocusly pocus so we reign in any hint of actually carrying on any interaction with the invisible world and the invisible God.

Jas. 1:5 declares if we lack wisdom go to the invisible bank of heaven and ask for some. Jas. 3:13-18 says the Teller will send it right on down. Ah, how we trip up on looking respectably Christian without the involvement of the Christ. A very strange doctrine we have forged which never came from God nor the Word He sent down.

God talks to us. Mock it if you like. If you don't believe He does....then, for you, I doubt He does.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive us, Lord, for trying to keep you in our predictable, understandable box!
Thank you for still speaking to us!

Jay

Anonymous said...

Terry, I appreciate your positive attitude and work for the Lord.

I'm not sure I would say that experiencing God is a new thing for the Church of Christ - I know what you mean by that, but sometimes those statements can come across as if the Church never understood about living for God until now. Again, I realize that is not what you mean, but that is sometimes how those comments can be read.

My hesitation is because of our human tendency to speak for God - to take an idea we have already decided is good and then say it must be from God if we like it. I'm not saying that is what you or anyone else has done, I just know it is a subtle human temptation for me. Biblically, it seems like God called alot of people in Old and New Testaments to do things they didn't want to do.

Again, I am not against a constant communication with God and looking for ways He is working in our lives, I just think we need to be careful about that temptation to assume if we like something, God does as well.

I don't mean to come across negatively, and I hope I didn't. Just a few thoughts - thanks for the forum to share and discuss them.

-Andrew

Terry Rush said...

Andrew,

I appreciate your careful words. I can tell you have a heart for the good of the kingdom.

Should I imply the church doesn't/hasn't experienced God in the past, you are right in questioning me.

My intent was to point out that "several" among us hedge from the possibility of God interacting with His children today. I do not mean to imply few have figured it out.

Thank you for your kindness in expressing concern. We hope to continue to grow in seeking Him and helping each other along that process.