Thursday, August 06, 2009

WHAT CAN TURN A CONGREGATION AROUND

When I began my work at Memorial I possessed a fundamental flaw in my preaching. I geared my sermons, regardless of theme, toward the "aginers". I preached and I pounded and I pulled no punches as I railed against those in the congregation who were always opposing things.

But I learned something in watching Jesus. He did not gear his effort toward those who didn't like his moves. He focused on the believers. When I repented of my preaching to correct those I assumed guilty and began to convey good news to those who wanted to know what it might be, God seemed to move us as a group from failure to success.

Soon afterward the elders at that transition seemed to make the same move. Never was it our plot nor plan. It just seemed to happen by the Spirit. The elders reached a point where they quit gathering to figure how to keep the naysayers pleased. Instead, they began to move according to what they deemed would fit the faithful.

The church gained a momentum that has never looked back.

This might seem too simple or too obvious. Yet, I can tell you many congregations don't find the room the breathe in profound liberty because the leadership is focused on the doubters rather than the believers. Doubters are unnecessary roadblocks to kingdom construction. They have stood in the way of many churches for many years. Many gave up and walked away (including their own children).

Should you need to be reminded...then be reminded. Preach the Word and gear it by faith with direction toward the faithful. That's why Jesus said, For those who have ears, let them hear. I spent a lot of pulpit time preaching to too many who didn't have ears.

Regardless of leadership role, when we focus on the believers and dreamers good things begin to happen. One of the biggest changes is even many of the doubters will shift to believing status. They just needed to see it start.

We can do it. We can see sluggish churches begin to arise and produce. Don't give up on people. Do redirect your efforts. Many things will change...for the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good advice - thanks for posting :)