Wednesday, April 22, 2009

RANDOM THOUGHTS AND OTHER STUFF

FACEBOOK: I feel guilty at not joining the many invitations to sign up as a Facebook friend. I receive the invitations from terrific people. Dusty says I need to be doing Facebook. So far, though, I have declined. One reason I don't sign up is I don't know how. And, I certainly don't know how to decline...so I don't do anything.

I focus on this blog. It is important to me to keep it current. With it, email, phones (office, home, and cell) I'm in touch sufficiently, don't I think? Yes, I think.

GOLF: Wayne Conway passed by my table Monday evening at El Chico; the Honduras fundraiser. He put two cartons of new golf balls in front of me. We both love golf. I was stunned to receive so many new balls....and they were just placed in front of me (as Casey Jones said when little) with no asking. As I opened one sleeve I saw Wayne's genius. He had ordered an imprint to be placed on each ball;

A Place to Start Life Over
Memorial Drive
Church of Christ

What's the intent? Golfers like us are always losing golf balls due to errant shots. So Wayne has devised a "Lost Golf Ball" ministry which advertises the church to those who find our stray shots. 100% Natural Evangelism at work again!

BASEBALL: I pray for Rick Ankiel of the Cardinals; I have for years. During last night's game he did poorly his first two at bats. When he came up the third time I began praying for him as he has really struggled early this season. He got a hit, then another, and the third time up he got a hit driving in the go-ahead run against the Mets only to later score. I emailed him this morning that he remains in our prayers....and that we did well in last night's contest.

MANUSCRIPT: I've been working on a new manuscript for four years. It isn't an easy process, but it sure is fun. I have a professional writer/friend assigned to rigorously edit the manuscript from cover to cover. She has to be pretty frank; like in this morning's note that the first 2/3s are stellar and the last 1/3 is unacceptably weak. Now I have work to do...again.

And I encourage you that 2/3s of your ministry may be strong yet 1/3 not so good. Don't sweat it and don't resist it. Learn from it. Grow from it. Correction is for the ones intending to get better at the jobs God gives us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Rush

No Facebook, please! No doubt you'd spend less time blogging and I get too much encouragement from your blog. And, I, like you am swearing off Facebook....for now!

Thanks.
Jay

Dusty said...

Boy did Wayne pick the right guy to start a lost ball ministry! But you're going to have to quit hitting into people. That won't look good.

Tammy said...

I love Memorial! Way to go Wayne! btw Sorry about the Facebook invite. I didn't know what I was doing and accidentally invited everyone in my contacts list. I still don't know what I am doing on facebook! But my earthday name is Amaryllis Sunshine. Kinda like it. But I know even less about flowers than I do facebook. So I DO have a lot of growing to do...and it is not just on Facebook and Flowers. I have a lot to learn in the Weeding department too!

I love you today ;)

Terry Rush said...

Dusty, I knew you'd come out of retirement on this one. My birthday is in June...just want to remind you now!

Tammy...."I love you today"
....ah, a great slogan perhaps?