Friday, April 10, 2009

HOW DO WE CONTINUE TO LEARN?

A thrilling part of kingdom life is to realize the potential of things to learn. It's cybernomical!

Think about it. What if word came out that the U.S. government had put a freeze on all inventions and discoveries; continued research was to halt? Orders would mean science research would stop. Nothing new would be allowed. This would harm society. We are quite privileged to live in a system full of creative openness and discovery.

The kingdom of God is no less thriving in discovery. The Bible may be thin in measurement; yet its depth has not been reached. The Word of God is higher in content than the sun and deeper in meaning than any ocean. How can we afford to live on verse chips year after year?

John Hull wrote that adult Christians are afraid to learn for fear they will discover they are wrong. He's right on target. Pride loves to go to Bible study with us so we can build forts around the twenty-three passages we prefer. Pride didn't want me to study. No study---which then means my immediate and adjacent criticism of any who don't believe as I---would keep me safe.

I'm grateful to have hung around Christians who weren't afraid to be wrong. I came to town with a mind made up, forged in steel, and bent on spreading my viewpoints. But His word can crack even the closedest of minds. I am so glad. I don't know how it happened for I would usually find protecting my reputation more important than making adjustment for God. Pride would do that to me.

We must be a people younger day by day so the Word in its richness can have the freedom to deprogram and retrain in the God-element of things. Bible study is risky business to the closed mind for in the process God will break down error. In it God will rebuild the soul into something more like what He had in mind.

Don't be afraid. Study your Bible. When doing so, read it without your personal instruction. Let it talk to you. You'll find yourself new (a new discovery) again today. Keep learning.

No comments: