Monday, April 27, 2009

AH, BAD MOVE ON MY PART

So grade-schooler Emily Hughes saw me yesterday morning at church about 9:00. Her eyes were bright as usual. With great enthusiasm she asked if I would like to have her spray some stuff on in my mouth that tasted really good. She held up a small bottle of something; what I could not tell.

Now I've been around part of the block. I knew by her wrinkling nose and insincere talk that she was playing a trick on me. I was fairly certain it wasn't poison. But, hey, I'm a grandpa and why not make this cutie's day? Right? Wrong. Bad move.

Emily sprayed and sprayed. Oh! It was so terribly bitter! And she died laughing. I'm always good for causing people to laugh. But I could not get that bitter taste to go away. As it came closer to preach I realized I had made a very bad calculation.

So? I'm friends now with Emily Hughes. I made her day...or part of it anyway. But the next time a kid comes up with some miracle spray, I am pretty sure I'll pass.

5 comments:

Rick L said...

Ah yes, another learning opportunity. My guess would be that any time a young person wants you to taste something, you probably better not. I remember almost spraying what I thought was breath spray in my mouth but it was too dark to read the label so I sprayed some in the air and sniffed. Turns out it was mace. Not good for tasting or sniffing. The others around the table didn't like it much either.

Dusty said...

hope it wasn't swine flu

Brenda said...

See what happens when people like HER PARENTS leave her unattened to roam in the church!! She goes and picks on an innocent preacher!

I am totally cracking up right now!
I just had to read this to her and she smiled from ear to ear. She just loves you so much and was HONORED that you would taste her sour spray!Although, I will say she was quite afraid to tell me when we got in the car what she had done to you! :o)
I am just happy that she didn't get you with the one that turns your mouth BLUE!
Thank you for loving her enough to taske her "miracle spray"!
I hope you find the "miracles" it performs to be better than the taste it left in your mouth!

Anonymous said...

Well, this comment is not about your article. Terry, I remember you well from back in the '80's at Memorial Drive COC! Two things you did impacted me.

The first was your book, You Can't Get To Heaven Saving Green Stamps. It was my first glimpse of God's Grace to me!

I have just recently finished my first book entitled "Don't Shoot Them At The Altar". It's an easy read about evangelism followup. You are a part of that book too.
I'd be delighted to come speak with you and the church at Memorial Drive about it if you are still an outreach church!

The second was an awesome teaching seminar you hosted on a Saturday, in which I learned to set the dynamic for an interactive teaching style for me.

Brother, I no longer attend the COC, but you have touched my life, and I wanted to take a moment to say 'thanks'!


Bless you,

Gary Goeppinger
Ft. Worth, TX
garygoeppinger@yahoo.com

Wendy said...

That reminds me...have you ever sprayed Downy wrinkle releaser into your mouth on accident and then wondered why you were picking something up to spray into your mouth in the first place?