Thursday, February 12, 2009

A BASEBALL FRIEND

I don't know why but I have had Jimmy Piersall on my mind so much lately. I haven't been in touch with him for several years as time flies and paths have not crossed recently.

Do any of you remember the movie Fear Strikes Out with Anthony Perkins and Karl Malden? Perkins played a baseball player who lost his mind because his dad, Malden, put excruciating pressure upon him. It was a true story; Perkins was playing the role of Jimmy Piersall.

Jimmy was a fantastic talent. He played for the Indians, Red Sox, Senators, Mets, and Angels. During a couple of games with the Yankees he suffered a breakdown. Sadness covered the fans.

Jimmy was a tough man when I met him as one of my coaches in the camps I attend. For some reason he adopted me throughout the week. For one, I was named after Terry Moore who was Jimmy's hero. And, maybe a glimmer of talent showed through....not.

While he was a weathered man, I loved him. He said the best thing that happened to him in baseball was when he went nuts (his words) because until then no one had ever heard of him. In camp he declared we were all crazy but bragged he was the only one who had papers to prove it. I still laugh when I was a kid I saw him hit his 100th home run. He circled the bases while running backwards!

Our lives are so good; so rich. We don't just envision the future or relish the moment. We have so many memories in which we treasure. I encourage you to ponder some of the wonderful paths God has led you. Don't you love being who you get to be?

2 comments:

jackie chesnutt said...

As a boy, I read every sports novel & biography in the Pasadena, TX Public Library. Fear Strikes Out was an amazing story. JP was one of the greatest defensive players ever; the first player I remember who ran into walls like they didn't exist. It was good to remember him.

Tim Perkins said...

Ditto. The "Game of the Week" started showing Cleveland Indian games with regularity because they could count on great viewership due to Piersall's enormous volatility. Like Jackie, I loved the guy. He had such passion for the game and such athleticism and speed.

Terry, can you update us on what's going on in Jimmy's life at the moment?