Sunday, October 12, 2008

HOW TO REACH TO ONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW GOD

I learned today of a retired man who is now found to be dying of cancer. This evaluation is a shock to both himself and his family. He has no church; no connection with a believing circle. Mutual friends have approached me about going to visit this man in the hospital. I will when the opportunity opens.

I wondered if some of you might be interested in what is going through my mind as such an opportunity arises. Here are immediate thoughts:
  • This man is in a stunning situation. I want to help him. And I must be prepared to accept the fact I am not one he wishes to see.
  • A visit with him may be nothing more than, "Checking on you to see if you would like me to pray."
  • This one may be afraid and doesn't have a clue where to begin this frightening trek. I will ask him if he is afraid.
  • If the door remains open, I will share with him that I don't know a lot of things; but the few things which I do know, I would be happy to share with him if he would think such useful.
  • I will listen closely to his response. He may be frank and close the communication immediately. He may be courteous; but brush off the gesture. Or, he may welcome my help. I will watch for his signals and respond with love accordingly.
  • If there is immediate rejection I will plant the seed of, "You are welcome to call me if down the road you would ever like to just have someone listen to your concerns." Often even after rejecting my first visit, I receive a call once they have had time to weigh these sobering days; plus the fact I was polite and seemed to truly care goes a long way when they do reconsider.
  • If there is invitation, I will talk with him in the hospital or after he gets home and share the great passages on how to think, what to think about, and how to survive such mental intrusion of terminal illness.
  • I will let God lead the way and I will not try to run past Him. I will only go through the open doors and patiently wait for closed ones to crack. And, the latter often does.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sometimes helpful approach involves asking the cancer patient, "What can you teach me about God and faith?" (It lets a dying patient know they are still alive with a purpose that outlives cancer.) In a similar way, "What specific prayers should I offer in your behalf? Here's what I would like for you to be praying about in my behalf."

Stoogelover said...

This shows much wisdom. I recall times when, under similar situations, we would have run in with flip charts and film strips to try and save this person. Caring and compassion go much further than ego-centric "evangelism."

Anonymous said...

Terry,
Thank you for this wonderful post. God continues to use you to teach HIM, model HIM, and lead us to HIM . This morning HE woke me up with a similar desire. I sensed HIM saying "Connect people with ME!Tell them WHO I AM! Tell them I AM their Great, loving, living, and active GOD!" I did!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I hope you post a follow up to this one. God Bless you Terry as you tell of your experiences, they bring so much encouragement, knowing we are all ministers.

One recent revelation to me I love to pass on is the Lord gives us the ability to not fear death and our life can start today.