Friday, October 17, 2008

HOW THEY DO CHURCH RIGHT

I think about the kingdom all day long every day. I'm not that spiritual, mind you. I am that interested. It intrigues me. It fascinates me. The kingdom is full of information, riddles, and plots. Its characters are all human except for God and angels. All who are in it should have the energy of an explorer, the ability to be wowed as a child, and the passion of the wildest romantic. How does God do what He does and keep us from whirling off of earth's circumference out of sheer uncontainable excitement?

I study our congregation. I love it so much. I enjoy it so much. As I ponder what God is doing with us, I cannot name a person which is key other than the Spirit of God, which is the Spirit of Christ, which is the Holy Spirit. If He (They) don't show up we shut down. If They don't flow freely and openly we are no more than an insurance industry peddling hope on paper. Should They choose to not engage in our assemblies whether class or worship, our best offerings would feel like sagging disappointment. Every Sunday I leave for home physically and mentally exhausted while soaring in spirit gratitude. I leave every Sunday completely clueless how They pulled love and harmony and compassion together when all we did was put some stuff together and offer it up to Him.

I can't wait for Sunday. Before every presentation of which I am responsible, I plead with Him/Them not to leave me up there by myself. They must connect the dots from what I heard Them say from study through the week to the ears of those who have the courtesy to sit and endure yet their one millionth talk about hope. Before every presentation I practice delivering the message in my mind including pausing to let the hearers engage; whether laughter, pondering, or inner debate.

How do we do this? We don't. They do. We are grateful for just a smidgen of participation responsibility, but it is the Upper Team which delivers the goods at Memorial and the whole church knows it. We don't want to be who we are because of any fleshly skill. We want to be who we are due to Them in us. The Trinity: They do church right!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE YOU, TERRY!!!