Thursday, August 07, 2008

TUGS OF THE HEART

I mentioned in the last blog about doing a funeral tomorrow for a 58 year old lady I do not know. I accepted the call to this funeral through the channels of friendship. I am happy a family would invite me to be a part of such an important and meaningful moment in their story. More than saying something right at the funeral, I want to share Life with them while in their midst.

The lady's mother, father, and young niece had been in Tulsa (from out of state) during her last few days. Many tense moments had been spent as family gathered at the hospital. In sadness the three returned to their home up north to gather a few things and then come back. Upon returning this afternoon for tomorrow morning's funeral, all three were killed in a car wreck.

This is a mess to the heart.

The family(s) is stunned, shattered, and completely numb as to what has just hit them. More than ever, I am glad I have been asked to do this funeral. Of all places on earth, I am called to minister to the heartbroken and, indeed, this is such a setting.

What shall I say? Who could know? I'll not make a conclusion until I get there in the morning. At this moment I think my intention is to discuss two things: I want to communicate I really love them (although we have not known one another) and I would like to discuss how Martha and Mary were shattered when they thought Jesus should have done something to save Lazarus.

For those young ministers out there who will encounter moments of ministry being in over your head, I encourage you that I am in over mine. Yet, (and this is an important yet) God knows exactly how to care for those in front of you and He knows how to do it through you. It isn't up to us to feel we are in control. It is up to us to draw attention the One who really is.

Ours is a tough work on occasion, but aren't we glad God would use us to make a difference for those who have deep and desperate tugs of the heart?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The realness of the daily life and drama of ministry one will never learn or hear about in the classroom.
I truly believe it is in the homes and lives of the suffering that Christians, Minister's and Servants learn the real lessons of true, heart, gut, and mind wrenching ministry.

Wrestling in prayer for you...I am indeed!

Trent Tanaro
Earth, TX

Anonymous said...

I am the lady who came up to you years ago at the Tulsa workshop to tell you a story of a woman contemplating ways to "blow up" the church that converted her husband. One night, she picked up a little booklet written by you about "GREEN STAMPS". God used that book to touch her heart and bring her to Christ. As I've listened to you speak over the years, God has used you to touch my heart again and again. My husband Steve and I have come to the Tulsa workshop since before having children (oldest is now 27). We were teachers at York College. Then, Steve preached in Bloomington, IN. Now, we love living in Pitman, NJ. After all these years, this week, I feel led by the Spirit to touch your heart again. The 8/7/08 through 8/10/08 posts on my blog do and will tell wonderful stories about a few lives and deaths that GOD has used to touch many. Be blessed! http://momstransformed.blogspot.com
BTW, E.Stanley Jones' Christ of the Mount is my favorite book besides the Bible. It is the book we are using this summer as a reference for our moms class.
Patti Sikes

Anonymous said...

Bless you Terry ... your calls to me following John Robert's death were not filled with much content that I remember ... just a tether of support and love from somewhere else ... someone far away noticed my pain and cared. Of course lots of someones nearby did as well. But I know you will bless this family. This story scares me to death, to tell you the truth. Ever since John was killed I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. Love and grace to you and yours.

Terry Laudett said...

Terry--I am Terry Laudett's wife, Janet; just borrowing his blogger account! I just wanted to let you know--my sister's roommate and best friend is a cousin to Peggy whom you did the funeral for today. I received an e-mail from my sister; she was impressed and thankful for the nice, caring way you conducted the service. THANK YOU! Blessings Janet Laudett

Anonymous said...

Terry - I was present at the service of Peggy today, and was quite impressed with you and how the service was. It is very much a tragedyy for this family, with the car accident. I stepped into this family about 11 years ago, and they are very close to my heart and my soul. In this time of tragedy, your thoughtfulness, kindness, and gentle manner, in presenting the service was very much appreciated. Thank you for all you do and the way that you do it. Continue the great work, huge rewards await you!!!! Thank you, Dawn.

Anonymous said...

Terry, Jim Cooke here in Midland, TX. I really cannot fathom what you have had to go thru these last couple of days. But from what 2 people have shared they were thankful for what you said and did. I want to give you and your readers a site to go to and watch inspiring short movies. http://www.simpletruths.com/movies/index.asp God Bless, Jim Cooke

Terry Laudett said...

I want to add my appreciation for what you did today. My wife (Janet) and sister-in-law (Dawn) have already said so, but I want to say thanks for what you did for them, too.