Sunday, July 13, 2008

FAREWELL TO TWO GOOD FRIENDS

The baseball world lost two good men over the weekend; Bobby Murcer and Dave Ricketts. Bost died of cancer.

Bobby Murcer was a star with the New York Yankess and later a broadcaster. Mickey Mantle was retiring and Murcer was the next big ticket. A few years after his retirement I was preaching at the Quail Springs Church of Christ in the Oklahoma City area. Bobby and his wife were there. I was amazed at his extended effort to offer considerate comments following the morning assembly. A few days later a packet arrived including an autographed 8 x 10. I have kept track of him during his illness. He was serious about his faith and his God.

Dave Ricketts was with the St. Louis Cardinals as a catcher. He played several years with the team and was a part of a World Championship team in the '60s. He later became a coach, and finally was a minor league instructor. For a few years I played at Busch Stadium over a three day weekend during the summers in our Legends Camps. Dave would pitch batting practice and I would be his catcher. He loved people as well as, obviously, baseball. The Big Leaguers are making strong comments about how special this man was. It warms my heart to be included in his circle of friends.

What I liked about both of these men is they were a success in their field; but they lived with their feet on the ground the their hearts alive in appreciation for the talent God had given them.

2 comments:

jackie chesnutt said...

Terry, a good friend attended with Bobby Murcer and spoke often of his kind nature and great attitude. As a Yankee fan, I followed him for years. I spoke of his passing yesterday and challenged folks to Google his name and see if they could find anything bad spoken of him. He was really a class act, both in baseball and out. Thanks for mentioning him.

Danna said...

I was blessed to worship with Bobby and Kay Murcer at Quail Springs. What a wonderful couple! I would see them at a little cafe in town and they were alway so gracious~to me and everyone they came in contact with. Last night on the Sports Blitz, Dean Blevins went on and on about what a great man Bobby Murcer was and you could tell he wasn't just talking baseball.