Monday, June 02, 2008

UP TIGHT?

In January I was attending my 25th year (at age 60) with the St. Louis Cardinals old-timers. The older I get the jitterier I get when the ball is coming at me on defense. My reflexes have simply atrophied. So, for several years it's a running joke among the former big-leaguers when they see a fly ball headed my way to ask one another if I have on a batting helmet out there.

Our team was up to bat as Bobby Ross of the Christian Chronicle was interviewing me for a story which came out in March. As he was asking me a question a foul ball came our way. Without missing a word (and without my glove on my hand) I took both hands, held the glove out, caught the foul ball, and kept talking to Bobby. The pros howled in protest that I must be somebody else!

What made the difference? Relaxed. It didn't matter whether I caught the ball. It was foul. Yet, I DID CATCH THE BALL!!!! One of my bigger mistakes in my role during the first thirty years at Memorial is being up tight. Such tension has caused me not to hear well. I've been found to be too defensive over matters which didn't need much defense. It just needed communication. I've noted lately how much I enjoy not knowing what to do and not having a clear direction in areas while, simultaneously, trusting God and my colleagues.

So many times I get hit with challenges or dilemmas which I simply don't know the proper course. Relaxing helps me anticipate His response either in circumstances or ministry partners. I don't have to be Mr. Answer Man. I don't know what to do. Being up tight only makes the ligaments of the body tighten up and as a result we are less agile and more prone to injury.

Regardless of age, should you be one as me found expected to perform in ministerial ways where you find yourself repeatedly in over your head, calm down. God is working when you can't imagine how. The mystery of the kingdom is all around. Worry not. Fear not. Trust Him.

Psalm 46:10; Mt. 11:28-30; Rom. 9:16; Phil. 4:11-13

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohmygoodness, good stuff. Love you!

preacherman said...

I love the Cardinals.
Wow.
Thanks for sharing this touching story with us.

Stoogelover said...

Great catch! It was not until the Long Beach years that I was able to relax in ministry and what a huge difference that made in my life and in my relationships in the church family there.

Anonymous said...

Glad I got to be there to witness "the catch" firsthand! Thanks to a neighbor who's good friends with a scout, my son Keaton and I sat 16 rows behind home plate at the Dodgers-Mets game on Sunday night. We had a blast.