Tuesday, May 27, 2008

WHAT IS GOD LOOKING FOR AT YOUR PLACE?

How many of you are able to note needs your congregations have? Only if...maybe? Only if we had more money? Only if we had a better location? Only if our preacher wasn't so dull? Only if our elders weren't so legalistic? Only if.....on and on the lists can be made.

How many times in my ministry I weighed each of those and more. Days of gloom would wrap my soul. Frustration and disappointment reigned for many days. Nearly every time I was led to the same conclusion: God is looking for one person among us to believe He will work. I think that's what He is looking for in every congregation: one person who believes He can.

I've had to struggle in so many ways to reach the joy of ministry today. I think about year 25 I really began to notice I felt like I was beginning to get into the stride of things. But even during the early years, whether questioning Memorial or me (or us), I kept concluding God just needed one person to believe He would work. Sometimes I was the guy. Sometimes it was someone else....or a combination of someones. It was, without exception, moments of God moving which brought relief....and never by any other means....only God.

God needed Abraham to believe Him. He needed David to believe Him. He needed Joshua and Caleb to believe Him. He needed Peter to eventually come through in faith. That's what God needs from us today: one person in any setting trusting God knows what to do and believing He will produce; even when we are clueless as to how and what that might be.

So dear reader, what is God looking for at your place? The same. Anybody can assess what isn't working; what isn't going right; who is messing us up. One person believing God can work in spite of such analysis will bring ultimate life to that very spot on earth! People and settings don't hold the church back. Failing to find at least one person who will place their eggs in His basket truly spells hopelessness for any congregation. Determine then that even if no one else will or can, you will be that one who can imagine Him delivering spectacular results...Romans 4:17....right where you are.

3 comments:

Frisky Ridgewood said...

Terry, this is Suzy Brown. Did you get my package with Dan Quisenberry's book (and mine)? I sent it to the Church address. Just checking. Just send me a note to let me know you received it so I can stop worrying that it's in some bin between here and Tulsa!
By the way check out www.midlifedivorcerecovery.com and www.midlifedivorcerecovery.blogspot.com or
www.radicalwomennetwork.com
Send anyone you know who needs encouragement in the area of divorce recovery to those sites. Thanks.
S
P.S.I just discovered your blog today and have only read the Pepperdine entry. I agree, that's a delicious feast in all sorts of ways! I will check out Liz Pence's book, too. By the way do you have just a regular e-mail address.

Terry Rush said...

Suzy,

Email me at cardinalmuseum@memorialdrive.org

Keith Roberts said...

Terry,

You have a way of getting to the heart of things.

After 30 years of preaching I still get frustrated with the church, with myself, with all the wrong things. But I'm learning to do as you said - look to Him to do something awesome.

Keep encouraging us to do so. You are helping.

Keith