Saturday, May 31, 2008

BROTHERHOOD BOULDERS AND SPECK-ULATIONS

I think we are way off course. While I am for us and love being among us, it seems doubtful today’s church would be recognized by Jesus or Paul. It’s just my opinion, but I wonder if we can begin to fathom the sin we live in by so missing the mark of walking as Jesus. Our “Get Right Church” mentality of try hard enough and you’ll conquer it comes very close to leading us away from the cross and into Behavioral Therapy Law.

A huge awareness devastated my heart years ago; especially as a leader. God showed me how cocky I was about others’ sins with complete ignorance and/or denial of my own. Until that day I had textbook (book, chapter, and verse if you will) answers for everyone whether friend or foe. How foolish and irresponsible I concluded “they” were. The truth is....I was the fool.

I’m now convinced refraining from judging is a major adjustment needed in the leadership heart. This seems clearly, even salvationally, pertinent to God:

  • If you do not forgive men, your father will not forgive your transgressions (Mt. 6:14-15).
  • Do not judge lest you be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. And why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye (Mt. 7:1-3)?
  • For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment (Jas. 2:13).

The depth of the truth of this issue I cannot judge. I do wonder if it would bring brothers and congregations together if we could each face up to our own deep-seated flaws and work on removing them first. Comparatively, God says when we get the boulders out of our own eyes all that will be in the brother’s is still a speck. Wouldn’t it be something if we were to discover the speck-tacular miracle among us that everyone else’s issues are slight compared to our own?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry,
I don't frequent your blog much but today was a day that I just felt that I should. Your comment speaks volums today and is a lesson we should all make the effort to learn and to pay heed to. A great many times as well it needs to be coupled with putting the ego aside and learning the fine art of sitting down and talking. I really appreciate this one!

Roy Coffman
Shane's Father

Anonymous said...

Really appreciate that Terry--I don't know why it is so hard to live by the rule of Jesus on judging another--it's easy to know that teaching--it's harder to let it be part of our lives--thanks again