Monday, March 10, 2008

SOME CHURCHES

It's really frustrating to hear of some churches and how they approach ministry. While we would always know ours isn't exactly ideal, we do have the hope and the ambition to keep it moving upward, don't you think? Don't get me wrong....but we are trying.

I won't name a church or a specific group, but what are some people thinking? I have in mind a particular range of members who seem as if they deliberately try to skirt off of the beaten path. They always have to do the off-the-wall stuff that grates on those of the norm. Charges of radicalism seem to roll off of their backs. They don't seem to catch it that they constantly stir up trouble. I hope I won't be judged harshly for this statement, but at times I just want to see them driven out of town.

I try not to be critical, but why can't these people get it that when they break from a system that has worked well over the years tension will be obvious? Can't they see their doctrine and method divides the metro community? Reputation alone hits so many the wrong way. How can this be and yet they expect to have impact in soul winning?

Maybe....just maybe I need to learn a few things from them. They, by the way, are the church I see in the book of Acts. Division at several turns. Instances of death due to lying and more death due to stoning. When will they realize it doesn't have to be that way? Why couldn't they just dumb down from being so radical about everything?

Just wondering.

6 comments:

craig said...

Don't know if it was the time change or the bevy of preteen girls *not* slumbering but definitely partying last night with my oldest daughter that hazed my thinking today, but it took a second reading to catch the Acts reference. Maybe I'd have processed it if I'd seen Ananias, Sapphira, and Steven...but maybe not.

Zac said...

There is something to be said for blazing a new trail and doing some things differently than they have ever been done before. The beaten path isn't always the best path.

That being said, I have no idea what you are specifically referring to. We shouldn't be different just to rock the boat...there should always be a Kingdom purpose behind the innovation in churches.

Anonymous said...

I worked for 20 minutes on a response to this post , trying to defend the radicals and change agents, and then it hit me what you were actually doing here. Doh! At least I hope you're doing what I think you're doing. If not, then just forget everything I'm saying here. :)

Vive la radical !

Zac said...

How did I miss that last paragraph? I read it four times and nothing registered!

I need more sleep.

Jeanne said...

Just wanted you to know that I love you! I should be grading papers, but here I find myself reading your blog and my heart just soaring!!!! I love that you take us all along with you on the journey to know and live Jesus better. I've always felt in pretty good company not being in the "norm". After all, that would be where Jesus spent all his time. Outside the conception of what religion thought following God was all about. May He continue to stretch and grow us because when we quit growing, we start dying. Thank you friend! You are such a treasure!!!!

Wes said...

So ... you sucked me in. I was already picking up rocks for a good ole fashioned stoning!

Thanks. :p