Thursday, March 06, 2008

THE GLAMOUR OF PREACHING

The call to preach is a privilege. But is it as glamorous as most may think? Yes, it is. It's an incredible rush to get to do what I and others get to do. Who could be so fortunate? Those in my position get to do the funnest work in the world.

Yes, there are chasms of struggle, self-doubt, and constant conflict. Depression howls at our heels and inadequacy rains down moments of terror. Yes, we deal with such deep sadness our hearts flood out. Yes, we have little to measure how we are doing and this leaves us flailing in the air at times. And yes, we fail at least as much as we succeed. We make dumb comments and dumber decisions. The church waits patiently or bolts impatiently as we fumble to grow up only a smidge.

Are you thinking of beginning to preach or deciding whether to continue? Here's what I'd say. The glamour you wonder about truly is there. It's fascinating to get to do what we get to do. We direct seekers to the Astonishing One. We study from the Endless Word. The more we learn the larger the unknown of the Word grows. We are intimate with the greatest Mystery of Ever.

We marry the young and bury the old. Tragedy breaks our hearts while celebration thrills them. Do you know what is one of the most powerful wonders of the world? Being a preacher. It's everything one who dreams of such can hope for. God does not disappoint. Stress and trouble are entry level courses called Suffering 101. His wisdom insists we take a refresher course every so many days so we stay in tune with Him and with people.

Want to be a preacher? Do it. Run to it. What a calling. A world awaits for the Hope of the One and we happen to know Him. There's so much work to do and so many places to do it in. The darker the continent or the nation, the brighter hope will shine.

Is it a glamorous life getting to preach? Absolutely! In looking back, if I had it all to do over again? I'd ask God if I could be me.

3 comments:

Cary said...

Going to have to disagree with you about preaching there, Terry. I'm pretty sure campus ministry is where all the awesomeness is.

Anonymous said...

Dear Terry:

I used to want to be a preacher, them my enthusiasm was squashed by a well meaning teacher. She told me "girls can't be preachers". I hope we have grown to the point where our daughters' gifts' can be given to the lord without prejudice. I think I would have been a great pastor. Love ya, Lynn

Unknown said...

Thanks, Terry--great post. We need more preachers, not fewer, on fire to preach.

I started a tradition several years ago. As I was walking in to the church building on Sunday morning, I would look to the sky and pray, "Thank you, God, for the best job in the world: preaching your word to your people."

The prayer remained the same even when the events leading up to that particular Sunday had left me unconvinced that was the best PLACE in the world to be doing the best job in the world, and I sometimes chuckled as I prayed it, and God gave me strength and enthusiasm. :-)