Friday, February 29, 2008

I'LL BE PRINCIPAL FOR A DAY

One of the wonderful ministries Memorial has going is our adoption of down-the-street Lindbergh Elementary. We love this place. They come to events at Memorial and we attend venues of theirs. Several of our members tutor. We help the school with enrollment. Once, I attended a funeral in proxy for the staff at a sad and bad-timing moment for the school. Two weeks ago I dropped in with latte for the secretaries.

Mrs. Nance has asked me to serve as Principal of the school March 13th! Me? A Principal? What a daunting task. What should I do? What do I do? These are important questions. I'm sixty years old and have never been Principal of a school so I've got to have immediate impact.

I'm trying to think of my several and natural moves:
  • Change a few of the rules
  • Give all of the faculty a pay raise
  • Declare one Terry Holiday....maybe two
  • Be sure to tell my Mom

What other ideas do you think would be good for me to implement? Do you think there'll be an intercom for me to make announcements....like updating the Cardinal game and the golf tournament?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandatory ice cream break!

Brenda said...

Extra Recess time!

No Homework!!!

Pizza for lunch...and not the school cafeteria kind!

Make a visit to every classroom to personally say hello!!!

relieve a teacher for a much needed break!

Teach 1 gym glass and play the parachute game! Yes! This is a must...and you SIT IN THE MIDDLE UNDER IT!

How about hitting some balls around out at recess? And hey...wear your uniform...give cards...sign autographs! Yeah...they'll eat that up!

During the 3rd our of the day...just randomly get on the intercom and ask all the teachers and kids to join you in a round of the cha cha slide!

Don't call a tornado drill, or fire drill...but a FUN DRILL! Require them for 5 minutes to have some fun!

Serve lunch in the cafeteria.

Teach them some new vocabulary words. You know what words we are talking about! Terry-isms!

Theresa said...

Oh! I like Brenda's ideas! :)

Anonymous said...

Reintroduce paddling into the school system for a day! Lifechanging! lol

Dusty Rush said...

I say you bus them over to Memorial and baptize every last one of them! Sure, their parents might be upset...but boy would you bolster your stats!

Tammy said...

Sing! Especially after doing all the things Brenda suggested...you could be a hit!

Brenda said...

Start out the day with singing "Take me out to the ball game" on the intercom!

Terry Rush said...

Yikes! You all are giving me such helpful insight. You made me think of a great game.

I'm going to divide the kids into two teams: one on the south of
11th Street and those on the north. When I blow the whistle they will dart across during traffic. The last one standing uninjured is the school champion of Kids Dart Across!

Who knows? I may be asked back next year!

Theresa said...

I would SO WIN that game! :)

Anonymous said...

You could trade each of them for a tank of gas like you did our older brother, Dennis. Remember Dennis? Good times.

David Kirk said...

I like the cha cha slide idea ... be sure to post it on YouTube!

Zack said...

All day recess.