Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS!

Here’s a jump-start for your day: if earth ever has a trace of good news, it should be coming from us. While we each have a church building sitting in a prominent section of town with our denominational logo defining much of whom we are, there should be a second label: our reputation. We should be known as the Good News people. Such is both biblically defined and exemplified.

I began my career as a bad-news preacher. I addressed the critics mostly. Truth be told, we may have been a bad-news church. I misunderstood preaching. Loud and stern were twin tools of my trade. Claims of bravery justified myself against the scoffers. Of course the church didn’t like it, but that’s because they weren’t spiritual. So I told myself. Today? I am a good-news guy.

How did this change come about? First, I noticed my elders being kind and full of mercy toward the flock as well as the staff. They kept saying encouraging things as if they were really rooting for us. Odd, don’t you think? Shepherds who give benefit of the doubt? Actually care about potential failures becoming possible successes? I found myself out of step. Strangely, this was confusing to me.

I was raised in a harsh environment, converted to the identical atmosphere in the church, and assumed such a style as both normal and biblical. Yet, the Holy Spirit fruit was none of that. The more recent sets of elders were none of that. I’ve had to learn (am always learning) to yield to the Holy Spirit.

So Sunday I’m preaching on two facets which will help our flock feel more satisfied in their walk: prayer and giving. I won’t give them bad news. I’ll inspire them to pray more and give more by pointing out how much good they are already doing in this area. Why? Because it’s the truth. This church is incredible in prayer and giving. Some though are struggling to reach such heights. By pointing out the good going on, I believe such will encourage any who are not there yet to see the possibility. It will be a good news morning.

Our elders continually point out the good things about the staff and about the flock. We live in good news. Therefore, I urge you to evaluate your place of ministry. Whatever needs arise which may seem to be considerably weighty, try to believe a huge part of the solution would be for you to be a good news sorta minister. It will change the atmosphere of your place!

3 comments:

drjimwhite said...

Prayer and giving. Isn't it amazing how those two go hand in hand. Our church loves to pray and we give in all kinds of ways to all kinds of needs from food at Thanksgiving to gifts to needy children at Christmas to big money to a member who needs a kidney transplant to underwear for the homeless to blood at a blood drive. Wow! God, please give us more opportunities to give!! Thanks, Terry! See you in Tulsa.

David U said...

After all, it is GOOD NEWS isn't it?!? :)

DU

Zac said...

Very cool Terry. Only God can bring such a change, and I hope He continues to use you and the church in a great way for many years to come.