Tuesday, November 06, 2007

THANKS FOR THE LONG-TERM LOVE

I know it would sound strange to some, but I am a patient man. The reason such might seem odd is I am well-known for my impulsiveness. I would rather think I'm not impulsive but quick. However, I have learned the joy of patience. This isn't easy for a quick man!

Patience waits and doesn't bite its nails in the process. Grown to be a fretter and a worrier, the idea of believing all will work out all right in the long run is, for me, learning of an entirely new world. It is a fascinating adventure.

If we will learn to knock on doors of opportunity and wait for God to respond, we will find ourselves lavishly happy....and productive. I learned patience because I was shown patience. Memorial Drive is stubbornly long suffering. When I arrived in 1977 I was a pulpit pounder and shouter. I thought loud equalled enthusiasm. It didn't and doesn't. It equals annoyance. I saw in Jesus great enthusiasm, but in a different light than my philosophy. Memorial gave me room to operate by trial and error as this Jesus thing was new to my shoe-box answers for ministry operations.

I must admit I am still quick. However, I have steadily gained confidence in the operation of God in our work. He will provide. I learned through writing a young woman for nine years (not hearing from her and not knowing if she was getting my notes) encouraging her to come back to God, that she coveted every note and called me the day she came home to Him. Eight and three/fourths years of nothing to show for patient efforts. But how thrilling to see the eventual fruit.

In school our goal was to last two years at a church. That was the mark of maturity(?). My first congregation lasted one year. Thus, my suspicion that I was most likely a failure was confirmed. I did make it two years at my next place...Quincy, Illinois. Ah, success! Yet God has shown me so much of Himself by holding on at Memorial when I felt either they or I or we were factual failures.....and He showed up 70 x 7.

One can't construct a seminar on God. He does the strangest and most wonderful works. He refuses to fit our scheming molds and rules. Our role is to believe Him. I am thankful to Him and my wonderful congregation as both express meaningful patience toward me day by day, week by week, year by year, decade by decade.

Thank you Memorial Drive and thank you Brotherhood for letting me try and re-try. Patience breeds patience and I am committed to passing your gift to me on to generations of others.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

That gift of patience....will you be passing it along to my kids? I think they are in a great need of knowning that type of brotherhood!!!! ;o)